The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

Fourth (and likely last) entry from me:

Recipe - Pork and Chorizo with Piquillo Peppers (Caracmusa)

Usually, I say, “This is easy, great for a quick weeknight meal,” and this one is by no means difficult, but it does have more than the usual number of steps I like to put up with when making something.

This dirties a lot of dishes, it seems, and a lot of the directions are “…and set aside,” meaning you’re making little mini-recipes that’ll get assembled into the final dish.

I don’t always like that. Just being honest.

Setting aside…ahem…all that, I will say that I did like this, quite a bit. In reading about the dish online, I saw several places that referred to this as “Spanish chili,” and I can see that, though this has a much brighter taste, which I found favor with. I also enjoyed the chewy texture of the Spanish chorizo in this. A dried-cured product like that, I’d usually just slice and eat with some cheese and crackers, or sliced thin and crisped up on top of a pizza, but this was a nice change.

MrsT’s reaction…she wasn’t too impressed, unfortunately. She doesn’t like cumin much, and that’s one of prevalent flavors.

Fourth (and likely last) entry from me:

Usually, I say, “This is easy, great for a quick weeknight meal,” and this one is by no means difficult, but it does have more than the usual number of steps I like to put up with when making something.

This dirties a lot of dishes, it seems, and a lot of the directions are “…and set aside,” meaning you’re making little mini-recipes that’ll get assembled into the final dish.

I don’t always like that. Just being honest.

Setting aside…ahem…all that, I will say that I did like this, quite a bit. In reading about the dish online, I saw several places that referred to this as “Spanish chili,” and I can see that, though this has a much brighter taste, which I found favor with. I also enjoyed the chewy texture of the Spanish chorizo in this. A dried-cured product like that, I’d usually just slice and eat with some cheese and crackers, or sliced thin and crisped up on top of a pizza, but this was a nice change.

MrsT’s reaction…she wasn’t too impressed, unfortunately. She doesn’t like cumin much, and that’s one of prevalent flavors.
Isn't there something that you could sub out for cumin to please your sweetheart's picky palate?

Pork and Chorizo with Piquillo Peppers (Caracmusa)
Wow - hadn´t heard of carcamusa, so I looked it up.
Seems it´s a classic dish from Toledo, in Spain (NOOO, not Ohio :laugh: :laugh: ) and the name comes from the "carcas" (middle-aged men who frequent bars) and their "musas" (much younger lady friends) !!

Reminder that the challenge ends later today.
I was just thinking that I might have forgotten to tag my recipes "cookingbites recipe challenge" but I just looked and they are all tagged, maybe the moderator angel did it for me. If so, thank you :thankyou:

Okay, you guys made this really hard because there are quite a few recipes that look really, really good and make me want to try them.

From JAS_OH1

Recipe - Lamb sausage, goat cheese, and herb risotto balls (arancini)
Recipe - Lamb sausage pita bites
Recipe - Herbed lamb sausage (no casings)

From karadekoolaid

Recipe - Glamorgan Sausages

From SatNavSaysStraightOn

Recipe - Vegan Chickpea "Sausage" Rolls

From TastyReuben

Recipe - La Chorizette (Chorizo & Fried Potatoes)

From The Late Night Gourmet

Recipe - Banh Mi Puff Pastry Dog
Recipe - Breakfast Banhmito

I really like the use of Puff Pastry by SatNav and TLNG to wrap the sausages.

Again, thanks to all who participated. All of your recipes look great!

I'm going to give the win to JAS_OH1 for her Recipe - Herbed lamb sausage (no casings) because I really like the look of her recipe and that she gave 3 uses for it, as is with sides, the pita bites and the arancini. So, it's up to her now for the next challenge.

Okay, you guys made this really hard because there are quite a few recipes that look really, really good and make me want to try them.

From JAS_OH1

Recipe - Lamb sausage, goat cheese, and herb risotto balls (arancini)
Recipe - Lamb sausage pita bites
Recipe - Herbed lamb sausage (no casings)

From karadekoolaid

Recipe - Glamorgan Sausages

From SatNavSaysStraightOn

Recipe - Vegan Chickpea "Sausage" Rolls

From TastyReuben

Recipe - La Chorizette (Chorizo & Fried Potatoes)

From The Late Night Gourmet

Recipe - Banh Mi Puff Pastry Dog
Recipe - Breakfast Banhmito

I really like the use of Puff Pastry by SatNav and TLNG to wrap the sausages.

Again, thanks to all who participated. All of your recipes look great!

I'm going to give the win to JAS_OH1 for her Recipe - Herbed lamb sausage (no casings) because I really like the look of her recipe and that she gave 3 uses for it, as is with sides, the pita bites and the arancini. So, it's up to her now for the next challenge.
Well I am so honored, thank you! I will give it some thought and look over the list of previous challenge ingredients. Thanks again!

Edit: alright, I just gave the list a lookover, and it appears that rice has not been a challenge ingredient since 2020. Let's go with rice, any kind of rice: mperial rice, basmati, jasmine, arborio, sushi, etc. If someone has entered a recipe in the past that had rice in it that they liked, it's perfectly fine to change a few ingredients and enter it again. I am really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for this challenge!

I edited out wild rice as it's not a true rice.

Last edited:
And now, the "does this count?" questions start. :laugh:

Is this strictly rice, which excludes:

quinoa
farro
barley
other "rice-type" grains
Exactly right. Rice only. Quinoa, farro, barley, and other rice-type grains are excluded. No rice flour unless rice grains are otherwise already in the recipe.

I think it's still a pretty broad range to choose from, yes? I haven't ever heard of anyone with a rice allergy in the forum, but if someone has an issue with rice, please let me know!

Edited to add: the exception to that (using rice flour) would be if you made your own rice flour. Same goes with rice noodles and rice paper, not allowed unless grains of rice are already in the recipe or you somehow took the time to make it from scratch using rice grains!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom