The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

Recipe - Lamb sausage pita bites

We loved these! They are pretty, simple to make, and very tasty.
lamb sausage pita bites plated.jpg
lamb sausage pita bites finished.jpg

Make some bulk Andouille and make a Fatty, using the Boudin (uncased) as part of the stuffing. I've also used bulk Andouille to make "sausage gravy". BTW, do you use pig liver in your Boudin?

I've never made boudin before (I've eaten a lot of it). I was planning to use chicken liver. That was a suggestion of Chef Issac Toupes (has two restaurants in NOLA -- and is funny). I don't recall even seeing pork liver in my local stores.

CD

I've never made boudin before (I've eaten a lot of it). I was planning to use chicken liver. That was a suggestion of Chef Issac Toupes (has two restaurants in NOLA -- and is funny). I don't recall even seeing pork liver in my local stores.

CD

Trust me, you do NOT want to use pork liver.

Yes, we used the boudin Craig made in the fatty AFTER I had added a bunch of stuff to it, including more vegetables and fresh herbs. I took 1 bite of his original recipe made into boudin balls and spat it out. I also eventually threw away the rest of his original recipe after a long while of languishing in the freezer.

He got the pork liver at the Asian market.

It kind of goes without saying that I'm not making this, primarily because I can't stand mock meat or fake sausage/burger/chicken/pork etc (with 1 single exception) and I don't have any vegetable based vegan sausages to hand, but I thought I'd add this one from my Grannie's recipe collection dating back to the 1950's.

Retro Recipe - Sauage Savoury

Feel free to not count it as an entry if you don't want to.

I'm surprised you were able to sneak that past security!
It was in my checked bag, frozen, along with a multitude of other food items.
I take a large check-in bag when we depart for Hawaii and inside of it is a soft-sided collapsible bag for the return.
We check that one bag with all of our clothes for a week, there's a washer-dryer in our apartment, and really, how much clothes do you need while in Hawaii for a month?
On the return flight, the clothes go into the soft bag and all of the food goods into the large checked bag, with a few clothing items as a bumper-guard. For the last two trips back home, I purchased a luggage scale in insure that we did not exceed the 50 pound limit enforced by the airlines.
You should see how Hawaii folk travel, coolers, be they Styrofoam or hard-sided, all bound together with electrical tape so that they hold together and no one tampers with it! We love our food!
So me packing frozen sausages in and amongst my clothes isn't anything they haven't seen in Hawaii! :laugh:

I’ve got one more to get to in the time allotted. MrsT’s kinky intestines (behave!) slowed me down a little, but I should be able to get it made tonight.

Is there still some interest in the vegan Polenta?
If so, I would like to add some suggestions, but I've to say, I've never done Polenta without cheese and butter.

For liquids I could imagine some sort of fake milk, like soy milk or almond, a nice broth or a mix.
Seasonings can be vegan demiglace, powdered mushrooms, roasted garlic nibs, Mediterranean herbs, these melting fake cheese yeast flakes or peanut butter

Is there still some interest in the vegan Polenta?
If so, I would like to add some suggestions, but I've to say, I've never done Polenta without cheese and butter.

For liquids I could imagine some sort of fake milk, like soy milk or almond, a nice broth or a mix.
Seasonings can be vegan demiglace, powdered mushrooms, roasted garlic nibs, Mediterranean herbs, these melting fake cheese yeast flakes or peanut butter
I'm always interested, but I don't have any meltable vegan cheese that's even half edible. I gather there may be one in the UK that's OK but it's not available here.

That said, I'm looking for recipes that people have made and tried rather than "you could try swapping this for that" which just has not worked for me.

Soy milk (unsweetened) is a good swap for dairy milk because the proteins are similar and it usually acts the same way in baked goods (as well as in dyeing - milk protein is often used to soften wool and assist even further with the uptake of dyes). Similarly homemade soy yoghurt is excellent. I'll pass off the shop bought stuff. We're about to throw a container of it away after the plain wasn't avarice so hubby picked up "a hint of vanilla" instead. It would be better named "a tin of sugar". It was so sweet neither of us can eat it.. I'll leave the predictive text error in. It works better than the "ton" I was assuming for.

I do have a decent dairy free butter which is written up on this site. Recipe - European Style Cultured Vegan Butter

So I was wondering, medtran49, if it would be possible to have a day or 2 extension on this? My risotto ball recipe is quite intensive and I have a lot going on today and tomorrow, but Sunday I have nothing going on so have plenty of time to write up my recipe. If you can't do it, I understand completely and will try to find time to get it done before the deadline.

Back
Top Bottom