The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Seafood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silence or I will hold you all in contempt.
My ruling ruling ruling down the river, is as follows. The key ingredient must be anything that can survive under fresh or salt water unaided for more than 60 minutes. Note Unaided, this means recipes for submariners, mermaids and Lloyd Bridges are not allowed.
Frozen products, I have the privileged of living next to some of the cleanest and most fertile waters in the med, most fish and seafood we buy is caught the night before. I buy delicious frozen Alaskan Black C Cod fillets for British fish pie.. I would prefer to buy frozen product that is frozen within hours of being caught than product that has been in a trawlers hold for 14 days.
Tinned Product is a definite yes, I may prefer Royal Oscietra but a well executed Taramasalata with kalamata olives and home made flat bread is food of the Gods. NB I take eating very seriously so if Trump entered a winning dish I would confirm the dish not the person.Do you feel me people ?
Love ya Burt. You make me laugh until I cry.

caseydog
You may be able to find frozen Gulf shrimp. A lot of the fish we eat is considered game fish and not available in markets. Fortunately G fishes.

Oh yeah, I can find wild caught Gulf shrimp here. I buy them shell on (heads off). If I thaw them and peel them just before cooking, they are almost like fresh. Never buy them peeled and frozen. They're mushy.

CD

The key ingredient must be anything that can survive under fresh or salt water unaided for more than 60 minutes.
I am having an insomnia night so I am a little thick headed. Are you including bivalves in the challenge? Oysters, clams, mussels?
I will but I'm not sure if Rabbi Morning Goyim will allow no kosher seafood in.
Its entirely up to you as judge, Burt Blank. I will need to amend the title of the thread and top post to include molluscs (molluscs includes squid and octopus).

Freshwater fish in North Texas is nothing I like. There's catfish, which I do like, but I have to admit that farmed catfish (mostly from further South than Dallas) are better tasting than the local "mud-cats."

I am perfectly okay with seafood that is frozen within hours after catching. If you cook it immediately after thawing, it is fine.

CD
You mean that in your neck of the woods, you can't get Gar, Pickeral, Pike, Bass, Perch, Sunfish, Croppies and such? I can understand if you have to road trip to Colorado for trout.

Does that include plankton? How about coral?
Produce a recipe and the finished dish and I will give it due consideration. The brown date mussel is legally protected here because it is attached to coral. Removing it damages the coral hence the ban. I have ruled on the larger plankton. Plankton are usually microscopic, often less than one inch in length, but they also include larger species like some crustaceans and jellyfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom