The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Seafood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that include plankton? How about coral?

CD :rolleyes:
Corals, Jellyfish and Hydras are Coelenterates. There is no known record of them being edible. They typically contain toxic barbs to stun their prey. Hard Coral is too thinly covered and soft corals, jellyfish and hydras would only have very limited nutritional value and devoid of flavor.

There is a Vietnamese dish I plan to make for this - actually, I'd been planning to try again these next few weeks, anyway. My first attempt last year about this time was tasty but looked horrid, and didn't hold together well. It contains shrimp, pork and tapioca.

Over the next few days I may find some old recipes I have to hand... and I will look for seaweed ones as well. Maybe I'll do an outright vegetarian seaweed one before the challenge closes.

jellyfish and hydras would only have very limited nutritional value and devoid of flavor.

Jellyfish are used in Asian cooking - and knowing Asian cooking, I think they could be quite tasty. Jellyfish as food - Wikipedia

Freshwater fish in North Texas is nothing I like. There's catfish, which I do like, but I have to admit that farmed catfish (mostly from further South than Dallas) are better tasting than the local "mud-cats."

I am perfectly okay with seafood that is frozen within hours after catching. If you cook it immediately after thawing, it is fine.

CD
In Ohio I am about 8 hours away from the Atlantic Ocean, pretty landlocked: but the grocery stores carry fresh salmon and other fresh saltwater fish, shrimp, and mussels in addition to frozen. They have live Maine lobster in the tank, but I am not opposed to buying frozen claws and tails on occasion. Can always get frozen crab legs or cooked and pasteurized crabmeat. I am looking forward to this, I already have something in mind. It's something I have been making for years. Gotta couple of other favorites I might submit as well.

Jellyfish are used in Asian cooking - and knowing Asian cooking, I think they could be quite tasty. Jellyfish as food - Wikipedia

View attachment 50274
I have had jellyfish, too.
They're okay, but not much flavor - you need good sauces and seasonings to do much with them. On the other paw, apparently their numbers are increasing these days...

No idea if all species are edible. Or what or if special preparations are done to make some species edible. You can buy jellyfish in some Asian markets.

In Ohio I am about 8 hours away from the Atlantic Ocean, pretty landlocked: but the grocery stores carry fresh salmon and other fresh saltwater fish, shrimp, and mussels in addition to frozen. They have live Maine lobster in the tank, but I am not opposed to buying frozen claws and tails on occasion. Can always get frozen crab legs or cooked and pasteurized crabmeat. I am looking forward to this, I already have something in mind. It's something I have been making for years. Gotta couple of other favorites I might submit as well.

By "fresh," I hope you aren't referring to the seafood in the seafood counter nicely laid out on crushed ice. That's generally not "fresh," that's "thawed." It was frozen when it got to the store.

CD

By "fresh," I hope you aren't referring to the seafood in the seafood counter nicely laid out on crushed ice. That's generally not "fresh," that's "thawed." It was frozen when it got to the store.

CD
NO. At MY grocery store, they have signs notifying customers of which items are "fresh" and which are "previously frozen" and thawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom