The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Seafood

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks delicious and rather unusual (using goat's cheese with squid) - I reckon you are in with a chance here!
Thank you, I just saw the challenge is about sea food and I forgot to post this recipe here 😊
I used to make it with Turkish tulum cheese, it's not easy to find here in NL, so I've tried with goat cheese and it was really delicious.

We generally buy our prawns from Makro. They are arranged on ice and I've always thought that they were fresh. I read that once defrosted prawns should not be refrozen. After shelling and de-veining we usually freeze about 75% of them. We've not been ill yet.

They advise not to refreeze because it compromises taste and texture. That applies to many different types of food. It won't make you sick unless it's been at room temperature long enough for bacteria to make it unsafe. Ideally it's been thawed while refrigerated and kept chilled so that doesn't happen.

(this post not eligible....)

if you have some thin salmon filet, and some nice fat sea scallops....

I love how this challenge has evolved. Our choice of ingredients has increased exponentially. Living close to the Gulf of Mexico I have a large selection of wonderful, fresh seafood. I have several things floating around in my head. Thanks Burt - a great choice. I do not envy you having to judge this challenge.

We generally buy our prawns from Makro. They are arranged on ice and I've always thought that they were fresh. I read that once defrosted prawns should not be refrozen. After shelling and de-veining we usually freeze about 75% of them. We've not been ill yet.

Generally speaking, I've heard that it's not a good idea to refreeze anything that has been defrosted unless some kind of cooking process happened in between. For example, thawing chicken to make a dish. The dish can be frozen but refreezing the raw chicken is a no-no. I think it's more related to an alteration in the taste versus any concerns about food poisoning.

Generally speaking, I've heard that it's not a good idea to refreeze anything that has been defrosted unless some kind of cooking process happened in between. For example, thawing chicken to make a dish. The dish can be frozen but refreezing the raw chicken is a no-no. I think it's more related to an alteration in the taste versus any concerns about food poisoning.
It is the texture of the food that is compromised, especially seafood which is more delicate than other proteins. We freeze many proteins. I stick with freeze once. G freezes shrimp and fish in water to avoid freezer burn. After years of purchasing, using and replacing vacuum sealers George purchased a semi professional vacuum sealer. The machine was expensive then he had to purchase a heavy duty cart to house it on. All good. We do use the machine enough to justify the expense.

It is the texture of the food that is compromised, especially seafood which is more delicate than other proteins. We freeze many proteins. I stick with freeze once. G freezes shrimp and fish in water to avoid freezer burn. After years of purchasing, using and replacing vacuum sealers George purchased a semi professional vacuum sealer. The machine was expensive then he had to purchase a heavy duty cart to house it on. All good. We do use the machine enough to justify the expense.

I can't have shellfish so I've never tried but it makes sense since they are so much smaller than the average package of meat or poultry. I didn't own a vacuum sealer when I had my family mainly because things didn't stay in the freezer long enough for it to be an issue. My ex HATED food that had been previously frozen so I would hide the packaging in the trash or take it to the garbage bin before he came home from work. I knew that it was just his "thing" because he never complained about meals when he had no idea I didn't make it from scratch. ;-) He thinks the ONLY thing that should go in a freezer is ice and ice cream. Funny, in over two decades of being with him, I managed to keep him and our two children alive. I guess that was just luck! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom