The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Seafood

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is not a contest entry - just an old post I dragged up to present ideas on salmon.

a double scallop two 'fer:
b4XIaNV.jpg

fresh garden tomatoes
hHiGE4h.jpg

mushrooms / peppers / onion
rOWr2tC.jpg

and salmon fiesta!
pryDIgW.jpg

I do not envy you having to judge this challenge.
Her Madge mate, as I am not capable of scripting a marvelous losers debrief like Hemulen I will use a simple method of Judging. I will view the posts like I do those restaurants that have a pictorial menu. The criteria is then simple, would I pay to eat it.

It is the texture of the food that is compromised, especially seafood which is more delicate than other proteins. We freeze many proteins. I stick with freeze once. G freezes shrimp and fish in water to avoid freezer burn. After years of purchasing, using and replacing vacuum sealers George purchased a semi professional vacuum sealer. The machine was expensive then he had to purchase a heavy duty cart to house it on. All good. We do use the machine enough to justify the expense.

Plus one on that. Shrimp frozen twice gets a little mushy. I vacuum seal my frozen shrimp in portion size bags. They can be thawed in very little time -- less than 30 minutes. So, I can pull just the amount of frozen shrimp that I need for one cook. If I need a lot of shrimp, I just pull a lot of bags. I do the same thing with scallops.

CD

This is not up to the standards of a Challenge Recipe. Just what we had for dinner last night.
Recipe - Fried Catfish and Onion Rings
Fried Catfish and Onion Rings
View attachment 50379
I will be the judge of that ! as I posted although I am a Atheist I love Orthodox Christmas in Serbia. To be enveloped in the loving arms of my wife's Serbian family is better than a spliff. A few days before Miki (Dad) goes fishing for Carp. On the afternoon of Christmas eve Mira (Mum) will coat and fry the fish so it is crisp but just warm when we eat it. The girls the arrive home from school and the house becomes a wonderful buzzing hive of activity. With my religious relatives in London the Saturday night meal when sabbath ends was always cold fried fish, my Dads favorite meal. Your dish looks good and creates evocative memories for me.

I love Japanese Cuisine. Sushi, Udon, Terryaki, etc., etc.

My taste buds just never got the memo on Japanese flavors. My ex-wife and her sister and the BIL loved sushi. I would go with them, and with an open mind, try everything they put in front of me. They were determined to find something I would like. It just never happened.

CD

Burt Blank Well you said you would judge on the photo and whether or not you thought you would want to eat it...well, I'm not going to win with this, but it was a successful experiment in making vegan 'fish' and chips. Something I've been meaning to try for ages, so thank you for that.

So here (poor photo - it was dark)

Recipe - Vegan 'Fish' and Chips

1605265607543.png

1605265630949.png

I've got another experiment for the weekend using some salmon from the freezer.
Herbers mate I have "pushed the envelope" religiously all my life. As the omnipotent one here, I am ruling in favor as your recipe has the word fish in it's title. You have just epitomised the way I wanted this contest to be. Informative and thought provoking.
Nb you are right you are not going to win with that pic, but if you added Asian mushy peas to give your plate color and a multi cultural hook

Recipe here: Recipe - Asian Mushy Peas

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom