The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Seafood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:18 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is Seafood and Burt Blank is our judge. For the purposes of this challenge, 'seafood' includes aquatic plant life and fresh water produce. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe using seafood as a new thread, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Wednesday 2nd December, UK time (GMT). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not an entry. After I've posted first time the thread appears on my "watched" list. I need the reminder.

Just to clarify, since shrimp aren't fish or crustaceans (they're mollusks, like clams) - but I see them in the pic above - are recipes with shrimp allowed?

I'm pretty sure that shrimps (prawns), crayfish, crab, lobster, langoustine are all crustaceans. Molluscs are things like oysters and mussels.

Crustaceans are aquatic animals that have jointed legs, a hard shell and no backbone, such as crab, crayfish, lobster, prawns and shrimp. Most molluscs have a hinged two-part shell and include clams, mussels, oysters and scallops, as well as various types of octopus, snail and squid.

I love fish, but won't be able to get any fresh until the end of the month so will cook something then. In the meantime I have a recipe with tinned fish to post. I'll make it tomorrow I think.

Since the nearest body of seawater is 350 miles from me, I won't be getting "fresh" seafood -- pretty much ever. Frozen is the best I can get (within my $$$).

CD

Since the nearest body of seawater is 350 miles from me, I won't be getting "fresh" seafood -- pretty much ever. Frozen is the best I can get (within my $$$).

CD

I'm about the same distance from the sea as you. However, we can obtain fresh freshwater fish and crustaceans locally.

I'm about the same distance from the sea as you. However, we can obtain fresh freshwater fish and crustaceans locally.

Freshwater fish in North Texas is nothing I like. There's catfish, which I do like, but I have to admit that farmed catfish (mostly from further South than Dallas) are better tasting than the local "mud-cats."

I am perfectly okay with seafood that is frozen within hours after catching. If you cook it immediately after thawing, it is fine.

CD

caseydog
You may be able to find frozen Gulf shrimp. A lot of the fish we eat is considered game fish and not available in markets. Fortunately G fishes.

Silence or I will hold you all in contempt.
My ruling ruling ruling down the river, is as follows. The key ingredient must be anything that can survive under fresh or salt water unaided for more than 60 minutes. Note Unaided, this means recipes for submariners, mermaids and Lloyd Bridges are not allowed.
Frozen products, I have the privileged of living next to some of the cleanest and most fertile waters in the med, most fish and seafood we buy is caught the night before. I buy delicious frozen Alaskan Black C Cod fillets for British fish pie.. I would prefer to buy frozen product that is frozen within hours of being caught than product that has been in a trawlers hold for 14 days.
Tinned Product is a definite yes, I may prefer Royal Oscietra but a well executed Taramasalata with kalamata olives and home made flat bread is food of the Gods. NB I take eating very seriously so if Trump entered a winning dish I would confirm the dish not the person.Do you feel me people ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom