The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet peppers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:09 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is sweet peppers and Morning Glory is the judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* which uses sweet peppers, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Mon 30th October UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

Hmmmmm. I usually just use sweet peppers as a minor ingredient, like diced in cajun cooking (1/3 of the Trinity).

I haven't made beef and sausage stuffed bell peppers in a long time. If I make that, I better move fast, because I know I'll get Tastied with stuffed peppers if I wait.

I've got a sweet banana pepper based recipe, too. I don't think I've ever posted it here.

CD

I've got a sweet banana pepper based recipe, too. I don't think I've ever posted it here.
I had to look it up to be sure they’re considered “sweet” peppers (they are), but my sister just gave me a bagful of banana peppers, so I’m set that way.

Like you said, though, I never do much to feature them in a dish, so I don’t know what to do yet. 🤷‍♂️

I found acoupla Sweet Italian Sausages when I went freezer diving and wanted to make something different to us.

Italian Sausage Cacciatore

IMG_3159.JPG

I used a few hacks in this recipe that just plain and simple, made this go along faster.
I used frozen Mushrooms from Trader Joe's that I always have on hand now

trader joes mushrooms.JPG

Also jarred Marinara, again, from TJ's.
This dish over pasta was quite tasty, but any accompaniment would be lovely.

I had to look it up to be sure they’re considered “sweet” peppers (they are), but my sister just gave me a bagful of banana peppers, so I’m set that way.

Like you said, though, I never do much to feature them in a dish, so I don’t know what to do yet. 🤷‍♂️

There are both sweet and hot banana peppers, I believe. I grew some one year, and they were sweet. I used them in the aforementioned recipe. I'll have to see if I can find it, or remember what I did.

CD

As long as the recipe has never been posted here before, you betcha!

Just to clarify, the rules mean that if a member has posted that exact same recipe before its not eligible for that member to enter it. Its always possible (and I do it all the time) to develop a new recipe by tweaking and changing one already posted. For example, I must have loads of chicken curry recipes posted on the forum - they are all different but share common elements. New recipes are born from existing recipes!

I'd also add that just because someone enters say 'peppers stuffed with rice', there is no reason why another member shouldn't also enter there own version of 'peppers stuffed with rice'. The more the merrier!

Last edited:
I’m thinking of making some kind of sauce with puréed peppers, or doing up some kind of relish.

I could make a keto sausage, and use a banana pepper in place of the bun! :laugh:

That is simply not good enough TastyReuben. Going on vacation is no excuse. I expect at least 5 entries from you. :D
I’ll talk to the head chef on the ship. I’m sure they’ll lend me a skillet and a burner for a bit! :laugh:

I’ve actually started my first one. It’s got to sit overnight before I can finish and present it. That’s a clue right there…

What I find fascinating about peppers is how they transform. Eaten raw or cooked quickly they are crunchy and sweet. Grilled and then with skins removed they emerge as silky soft with sweet and smoky flavour. They also seem to magically produce a sort of oil when grilled - yet they are very low calorie so it can't be real oil.

Back
Top Bottom