The Dutch food thread, because Dutch food isn't so bad as its reputation.

Did you try Dutch food before?

• No but I have an opinion anyway (describe below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I will confess to owning a Dutch cookbook.

I spent a lot of time in the Netherlands (set up a factory near Geleen) but putting aside the fine bread and cheese, there wasn't much appealing to a vegetarian.

Regarding the OT stuff, this area is very heavy with various flavors of Amish, Mennonites, and similar. Enough so that I've gotten stuck in buggy traffic jams. I was astonished to find that I understood their speech almost perfectly, better than I understood Hochdeutsch; then it was explained to me by a linguistics professor that Dietsch split off from German about the same time as Yiddish, and the latter was my first language.
Yeah when it comes to vegetarian food, Dutch food culture IS lacking. There is not much interesting traditional vegetarian food, unlike other cultures . This too has to do with puritanism , for a long time the Dutch vegetarian society was dominated by religious fundamentalism ( mostly the Adventist church) and they believed that eating unseasoned, plain food was the healthiest way of eating.

However, before the 18th century more interesting vegetarian food was available. I will do some research to make a post about it.

I can't say I've ever eaten real "Dutch" food, so I can't comment on whether it's good or bad.
I've never seen a "Dutch" restaurant; not even in Aruba or Curacao or Bonaire, but then I've never seen a "British" restaurant outside of the UK either. My thoughts are that both cuisines are, let's say, "conservative", in the sense that dishes are not highly elaborate. Well, for example: a Sunday Roast is delicious, and unique, but everything goes in the oven or is boiled/poached. Nothing wrong with that.
The story of spices in Holland began during the 16th century, when the English, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese and Danish began. to navigate the world. Spices were highly valued (especially in the Middle East and Europe), considered to have all sorts of magical properties, and were therefore treated as commodities. The Dutch merchant navy rounded South Africa, passed India and ended up in Indonesia. Indonesia is home to cloves and nutmeg. The Dutch annexed the Moluccas and monopolised the clove market, which produced tons of money. Indeed, the price for stealing cloves was execution.
As an aside, the only "spices" to originate from South America are chiles, Jamaica Pepper (Allspice), vanilla and Tonka beans. All the rest come from the Middle East, India and Indonesia.
Yes, British cuisine and Dutch cuisine are in many ways very similar. Indeed, a highly sophisticated kitchen culture isn't what we're known for, though we USED to be very different before the 19th century. Part of my aim with this thread is reviving some knowledge about that, because that's the reason we were so big in the spice trade. And slavery of course, for which I apologise.

There are Dutch 'restaurants' in Spain at the coast, but those are an embarrasment. They're the Dutch version of a fish and chip shop (so mostly a croquette and chip shop) and only there because of the massive amounts of Dutch tourists at the Spanish coast.

The only original dish a Dutch friend served me was some kind of Bratwurst with applesauce, mayonnaise and Ketchup. Pretty slick combo 👌.
That was his own idea though, that's not a typical Dutch dish. Was it not a Frikandel? Those are usually served with mayo and ketchup, though I have never heard of apple sauce with that.

We do have bratwurst though, but here they are typically made of beef instead of pork. Though both are available. Bratwurst is called Braadworst here.

I have 0 preconceptions about Dutch food and the only thing I associated with Dutch food (before this forum) was the cheeses, which are delicious and far from bland. America is a meting pot of cultures and cuisines so I've probably eaten Dutch inspired food several times in my life without even knowing it.

Interesting thread.
Well done Windigo !
I'm Dutch, born & raised, so obviously we ate Dutch food, but with a dad born in (what is now) Indonesia, our food contained plenty spices & herbs.
But I remember eating at friends houses and the food sometimes being bland.
But then there's
Erwtensoep (to which I add sambal) (pea soup)
Hachee (meat stew)
Zuurvlees (Limburg) (sour meat stew)
Zuurkool (sauerkraut)
And of course all of the Indonesian dishes
All of which I like. But I like boerekool (curly kale mash) rauwe andijvie stamppot (raw endive mash) bruine bonensoep (brown bean soup) etc as well
And the big array of affordable fresh vegetables

View attachment 102121
So I decided to make a thread about Dutch food, because internationally there are so many misconceptions about it.
Supposedly our food is bland, repetitive and uninteresting. Talking about Dutch food usually conjures up images of cheese, potatoes, sad vegetables and mashed potatoes. Maybe if we're lucky someone will think positively about Stroopwafels or the aformentioned cheese ( stroopwafels are Dutch syrup cookies).

But there really IS much more to Dutch cooking, and it's not all bland at all. When you look further back into history, it certainly is no longer bland.
Remember the VOC (Dutch east Indian trading company) etc? We were not known for our spice trade for no reason, back in the day spices were very important to Dutch cooking.
What also should speak for us and our food, is that we're one of the largest food exporting countries in the world. Let that sink in! Almost everyone has eaten some Dutch food before, they just probably didn't know it was Dutch. If it was truly so bad, why does everyone want our stuff?

So why do we have the reputation that we have bland food?
Well, first and foremost reason is the rise of Calvinism. A religious protestant sub group, that condemns anything decadent as sinful. It preaches sobriety and minimalism, and spices were considered a decadent form of waste as back in the day spices were expensive and considered a luxury. And you don't NEED spices to eat food, according to the Calvinist mindset. A saying from that era reads 'Zuivel op zuivel is het werk van de Duivel' (dairy on dairy is the work of the devil) referring to a sandwich with cheese AND butter. That was already considered too indulgent by the Calvinists. They gave rise to the culture of minimalism when it comes to food that is still prevalent in Dutch conservative circles. That is why the cheese sandwich is still our most common lunch meal.

What also played a role is the Huishoudschool (household school) that was created in the 19th century to teach middle class and higher class ladies how to run a household. These women used to have staff, but as staff became rare and expensive they had to learn how to cook for themselves. At the time, Calvinism was prevalent and thus the ladies were told to cook without spices. As responsible wives, they should not waste their husbands money on pleasures like spices and alcohol. At that time it was also commonly believed that food was healthier if it was cooked longer, hence the reputation of Dutch mothers boiling vegetables to mush.
Unfortunately, the household schools lasted until the 60's, which is why Dutch mothers are still seen cooking this way to this day. It's only from the 70's onward, that women were starting to learn to cook differently.
Plus, after the second world war the resources in the Netherlands remained scarse until about 1960, so there wasn't much room for spicing up your food or making it interesting. All this led to a perfect storm of bland food in our culture.
But it wasn't always like that.

The goal of this thread is to delve back in time, and show what Dutch food is good and great . I will post recipes, photos and history tidbits, so you might change your mind about how bland and boring we Dutch really are!
And if you have a contribution, please post about it. It will be fun to watch this thread grow!

Facinating, loved that. Thankyou.

Immediately reminded me of a moment in Blackadder (an old comedy series here) where Blackadder's religious Aunty Lady Whiteadder comes to visit to discuss his inheritance. The fearsome Puritan woman is covered in crosses is offered a seat-

Lady Whiteadder - "Wicked child, chairs are the invention of Satan. At our house Nathanial sits on a spike"
Blackadder - "And yourself?"
Lady Whiteadder - "I sit on a Nathanial!!! Two spike would be an extravagance!!" 🤣

Yep - the British can mirror that with their Cafés on the Costa Brava, etc. All that delicious fish, seafood and tapas, and all they want is a Sunday Roast and Shepherds Pie...

Warning this post is specifically for discourse and not intended to be annoying 🤣

I have some sympathy with that, not the holiday makers who miss out on trying a different cultures food that you're referring to (honestly I think they're morons who should probably go in Room 101 😂) but I realised I'd been sold an idea that being British and wanting the food you grew up with while away is somehow ignorant.

My complete agreement with what you've said altered a bit recently.

When I saw all the Polish food arriving in the supermarket near where I live to satisfy the new Polish immigrants I looked at it and thought that does not look appealing, why would anyone miss that? But of course it might be delicious and the taste of familiar food is a comfort.

If a supermarket can accommodate them or the immigrant cafe’s in Bristol can cater for for different nationalities, offering what is essentially a balm for homesick folk and a hub to meet their own kind then why wouldn't the Brits or the Dutch or any other nation have that too?

So now I view those mostly awful Brit pubs, the dutch supermarkets and the Tetley teabags on the supermarkets in Southern Spain with the same sympathy I afford other nationalities.

Homesickness is a horrible yearning and if Bob from Milton Keynes is cheered by a strong brew or Ingrid from Stockholm finds her favourite pickled Herring that's great.

The folk you're slightly mocking and I have called morons, I also feel sorry for as all cultures have willingly uncultured people who like to stay in the safe zone missing out on extra joy in life.

If there was a highly rated English teashop serving beautiful tea and scones and other foods you remember fondly near you would you go there? I think it might be a bit odd not too.

Because food is so central to joy wherever you go where there's a large immigrant population they'll be cafe's and 'foreign foods' to make them happy.

Last edited:
After reading this thread I googled the top Dutch dishes and since I was all set up to make fish and chips I decided to try one piece of fish ‘Kibbeling’ style with a spice mix rub before battering - it turned out great!

IMG_0367.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

Of course I cooked it in my ‘Dutch’ oven! (I’ll get my coat):

IMG_0372.jpeg

After reading this thread I googled the top Dutch dishes and since I was all set up to make fish and chips I decided to try one piece of fish ‘Kibbeling’ style with a spice mix rub before battering - it turned out great!

View attachment 102203

View attachment 102204

Of course I cooked it in my ‘Dutch’ oven! (I’ll get my coat):

View attachment 102205
You did well! It looks very much like the real deal. Here's one of my pics of kibbeling eaten at the farmers market:
82983434_2482422891884259_4995989886663131136_o.jpg

The left one is kibbeling, the right one mixed fried fruits de mer.

Kibbeling was originally invented because people looked down on eating the more 'unappealing' pieces of fish like the tails etc and that's why the stand holders started spicing them up and frying them and serving them with a free sauce.
These days customers demand fillets be used, but it's usually still a cheap fish and the sauce is always complimentary.
You could say Kibbeling is Dutch poverty food because it used to be whatever was left from the fish sales.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.
Well done Windigo !
I'm Dutch, born & raised, so obviously we ate Dutch food, but with a dad born in (what is now) Indonesia, our food contained plenty spices & herbs.
But I remember eating at friends houses and the food sometimes being bland.
But then there's
Erwtensoep (to which I add sambal) (pea soup)
Hachee (meat stew)
Zuurvlees (Limburg) (sour meat stew)
Zuurkool (sauerkraut)
And of course all of the Indonesian dishes
All of which I like. But I like boerekool (curly kale mash) rauwe andijvie stamppot (raw endive mash) bruine bonensoep (brown bean soup) etc as well
And the big array of affordable fresh vegetables
Yeah as I said in the OP, there's still echoes of the ladies of the Household school's style of cooking today. My MIL also cooks plain potatoes, meat and veg almost every night. It's incomprehensible to me to eat like that every day.

Some of the recipes you mentioned I will definitely post as a recipe later. And of course I will make a post about Dutch IndoChinese cuisine, which has the status of Unesco world heritage by now.

Warning this post is specifically for discourse and not intended to be annoying 🤣

I have some sympathy with that, not the holiday makers who miss out on trying a different cultures food that you're referring to (honestly I think they're morons who should probably go in Room 101 😂) but I realised I'd been sold an idea that being British and wanting the food you grew up with while away is somehow ignorant.

My complete agreement with what you've said altered a bit recently.

When I saw all the Polish food arriving in the supermarket near where I live to satisfy the new Polish immigrants I looked at it and thought that does not look appealing, why would anyone miss that? But of course it might be delicious and the taste of familiar food is a comfort.

If a supermarket can accommodate them or the immigrant cafe’s in Bristol can cater for for different nationalities, offering what is essentially a balm for homesick folk and a hub to meet their own kind then why wouldn't the Brits or the Dutch or any other nation have that too?

So now I view those mostly awful Brit pubs, the dutch supermarkets and the Tetley teabags on the supermarkets in Southern Spain with the same sympathy I afford other nationalities.

Homesickness is a horrible yearning and if Bob from Milton Keynes is cheered by a strong brew or Ingrid from Stockholm finds her favourite pickled Herring that's great.

The folk you're slightly mocking and I have called morons, I also feel sorry for as all cultures have willingly uncultured people who like to stay in the safe zone missing out on extra joy in life.

If there was a highly rated English teashop serving beautiful tea and scones and other foods you remember fondly near you would you go there? I think it might be a bit odd not too.

Because food is so central to joy wherever you go where there's a large immigrant population they'll be cafe's and 'foreign foods' to make them happy.
I said these shops are an embarassement not out of disdain for their customers, but because they don't represent Dutch cuisine well. Lots of foreigners seem to think a frikandel or kroket and fries is the best food we have, because that's all we serve on the Costa del Sol.

Back
Top Bottom