The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely and sunny today but very cold so a few layers when we go out for a walk
I used to love walking with my dogs in that weather. Arthritis in my knee put pay to that.I took these pics at 8 am, we have just returned from the beach, Temp on the beach was 18c on the balcony now it's 25c
1604747912418.png
1604747932599.png
1604747977541.png
underwear on the maid. Mrs B does not like displaying her "smalls" on the balcony line.

How refreshing it was to see Biden behaving in a Presidential manner in his speech. I wonder how Trump feels being beaten by a man he describe as the worst presidential candidate ever.

Not to mention claiming that he won when all the ballots haven't been counted. A bit premature and apparently incorrect. Add in some conspiracy theories about mail in votes (when he voted by mail, no less). I hate talking politics and I am so ready for this to be over. It's been exhausting these past several months.

Not to mention claiming that he won when all the ballots haven't been counted. A bit premature and apparently incorrect. Add in some conspiracy theories about mail in votes (when he voted by mail, no less). I hate talking politics and I am so ready for this to be over. It's been exhausting these past several months.
I heard a commentator say yesterday that Biden will make a very dull President, and that is a good thing after the turmoil of the last four years. I agree, and have often noted that politics should be boring, because boring means it is working, there is concensus and there are no crises.

What I don't really understand is the interregnum (if that is what it is). Biden won't be sworn in until January 20th. So who is in charge until then? Who will make decisions regarding any important actions? Given we are in the midst of a pandemic this seems quite important.

What I don't really understand is the interregnum (if that is what it is). Biden won't be sworn in until January 20th. So who is in charge until then? Who will make decisions regarding any important actions? Given we are in the midst of a pandemic this seems quite important.

Technically, Trump is President until Biden's inauguration. That is why there is so much concern about him not conceding. There is speculation he will do anything he can to make the transition more difficult.

Lame duck (politics) - Wikipedia

Edited to add:
"No matter what, President Trump is going to be President until January 20. There's all manner of mischief he can do between here and there, he can't just unilaterally overturn the election, so come January 20, he's out, and all of the layers of government will no longer serve him," Smith said.

Source: As Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition, Pentagon stresses it will play no role in the election

Last edited:

As others have stated, Trump is still the president until January 20th. In the past, outgoing and incoming administrations have had "transition teams" to arrange a relatively easy transfer of power in the time between the election and the inauguration of the new President. There is no indication that Trump is going to cooperate with that transition team. The transition team will still work with both houses of Congress, so that transition will at least be civil and dignified.

Biden served in the Senate with many of the Senate's current leadership, and had a good relationship with many Republicans in the Senate both as a Senator, and as Vice President under Obama -- the Vice President is the President of the Senate. VP Kamala Harris also served in the Senate.

As for the Pandemic, Trump is still President, but as a "lame duck President," his power will be reduced. For one thing, his ability to pressure Republican State Governors will be greatly reduced. Many of them may stop returning his calls.

It is entirely possible that Trump will try to metaphorically "burn the house down" on his way out the door. If so, people working for him will be resigning en masse. They will not want to ruin their political careers by staying around.

CD

That is why there is so much concern about him not conceding.
Conceding is a gentleman tradition. Binden is legally the President Elect. I hope the transition is smooth. The popular vote for Biden is a massive problem for his detractors. Trumps impotence till Bidens inauguration will grows exponentially. The rats are leaving the sinking ship. My wife and I flew to America for President Elect Obama inauguration.
For the Brits here.
" Both President Trump and Prime Minister May said they are committed to securing a strong trade deal after Brexit. Mass protests against the president's visit also took place, though Trump dismissed them as "very small." Trumps promises in my opinion played a large part in securing Brexit. I doubt that Biden will complete Trumps fantasy of weakening the EU and keeping the Conservative party in power.To quote Biden " We can’t allow the Good Friday Agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland to become a casualty of Brexit. Any trade deal between the U.S. and U.K. must be contingent upon respect for the Agreement and preventing the return of a hard border. Period." " If Joe Biden becomes the next US president, that will be good news for Labour in the UK, and spell trouble for the government "?
One person hoping Donald Trump wins: Boris Johnson | Jonathan Freedland

Last edited:
An interesting piece by Mary Trump (the sensible Trump: there's always a black sheep) in today's Observer. I fear she may well be right - we could see all sorts of madness and toy-throwing in the coming weeks. Let's just hope there are enough intelligent adults to keep the 74 year old baby in check.

Mary Trump on the end of Uncle Donald: all he has now is breaking things

Former Republican President George W Bush has called Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to congratulate them on the "fundamentally fair" and "clear" win. Trump is gradually fining himself alone in his insistence that the election was rigged, and isn't settled, yet.

CD

The fringe loonies are coming out of the closet...

(CNN) An Arkansas police chief who posted calls for violence against Democrats on social media resigned from his job on Saturday.

Lang Holland, who was police chief of the roughly 1,300-person city of Marshall, Arkansas, drew outrage from both local residents and people around the country after making ominous comments online in recent days. In addition to repeatedly saying Democrats should be killed, he shared memes from conspiracy theory QAnon and claimed that the election was being stolen.

"Death to all Marxist Democrats," Holland posted on Parler, a new social media site popular with conservatives and used as an alternative to Twitter. "Take no prisoners leave no survivors!!"

One image he shared depicted a group of Democrats, including Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, wearing prison jumpsuits. Under the image he wrote: "I pray all those in that picture hang on the gallows and are drawn and quartered!!!! Anything less is not acceptable."

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom