The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got stranded in the middle of a Idaho (USA) Wheatfield when our new tow vehicle broke down.
The wheatfield does double duty as a $60 a day campground to the adjacent Sand Dunes just after harvest. Farmer grabs every dollar she/he can.

Took 37 days for the local dealer to obtain parts and get us (me) on our way.
In the meantime, we lived in our Trailer and waited it out.
They gave us an old loaner car so we made the best of it. At least we had some transportation.

Wife is a nurse whos hospital needed her desperately so I was able to eventually arrange a flite home for her.

The town of St Anthony Idaho is eerily desolate and quiet.
The car dealer that was to fix our truck stood lonesome and empty, barely hanging on staying in business.

I walked down the street the dealership was on, crossed it, looked back at the old, mostly abandon 1920's era buildings and noticed a sheet of plywood atop one with BAR hand painted on it in black.
Like a moth to a flame I headed toward it.

There was an open door in the building below the sign and I looked down the hallway and saw the word Lounge. It smelled of stale air. A smell I have not experienced in decades.
What the hey,, I pulled on the lounge door and went in.

The place was alive with farm girls who'd been up since 3 AM doing farmwork. Now off for the day doing their college work on laptops and notebooks, playing music and laughing drinking $1 draught beers.

The super friendly bartender took my order, a Bacardi and coke and charged me $2.25. That drink back home is rarely under $8.50.
"It's happy hour, 25 cents off" the bartender told me.
Hell, at those prices I bought a round for the house and was instantly part of the congregation.

The only grocery store in the greater area is a Walmart Supercenter way at the other end of the County. I did find an excellent butcher shop and a bakery, both something you'll never find back in California.

So every few days when I went back to the bar out of lonesomeness I brought a crock pot full of food.
Twice I brought sliced tri tip in Au Jus and fresh baked buns for sandwiches.
That,,, was a mega hit.

I slice the tri tip before cooking.
Soak it for an hour immersed in water.
Then smoke it cooking it medium rare.
Then into the (8qt standard style) crockpot in au jus made with beef stock and seasonings.
Simmer for about an hour then to warm setting.

That's how I kept myself busy.

Open carry mean firearms. Guns, alcohol and politics never mix well:

The cafe’ part folded long ago leaving the bar only.
Windows had dressings I guess to make the abandon space behind look presentable.

Last edited:
I recently got stranded in the middle of a Idaho (USA) Wheatfield when our new tow vehicle broke down.
The wheatfield does double duty as a $60 a day campground to the adjacent Sand Dunes just after harvest. Farmer grabs every dollar she/he can.

Took 37 days for the local dealer to obtain parts and get us (me) on our way.
In the meantime, we lived in our Trailer and waited it out.
They gave us an old loaner car so we made the best of it. At least we had some transportation.

Wife is a nurse whos hospital needed her desperately so I was able to eventually arrange a flite home for her.

The town of St Anthony Idaho is eerily desolate and quiet.
The car dealer that was to fix our truck stood lonesome and empty, barely hanging on staying in business.

I walked down the street the dealership was on, crossed it, looked back at the old, mostly abandon 1920's era buildings and noticed a sheet of plywood atop one with BAR hand painted on it in black.
Like a moth to a flame I headed toward it.

There was an open door in the building below the sign and I looked down the hallway and saw the word Lounge. It smelled of stale air. A smell I have not experienced in decades.
What the hey,, I pulled on the lounge door and went in.

The place was alive with farm girls who'd been up since 3 AM doing farmwork. Now off for the day doing their college work on laptops and notebooks, playing music and laughing drinking $1 draught beers.

The super friendly bartender took my order, a Bacardi and coke and charged me $2.25. That drink back home is rarely under $8.50.
"It's happy hour, 25 cents off" the bartender told me.
Hell, at those prices I bought a round for the house and was instantly part of the congregation.

The only grocery store in the greater area is a Walmart Supercenter way at the other end of the County. I did find an excellent butcher shop and a bakery, both something you'll never find back in California.

So every few days when I went back to the bar out of lonesomeness I brought a crock pot full of food.
Twice I brought sliced tri tip in Au Jus and fresh baked buns for sandwiches.
That,,, was a mega hit.

I slice the tri tip before cooking.
Soak it for an hour immersed in water.
Then smoke it cooking it medium rare.
Then into the crockpot in au jus made with beef stock and seasonings.
Simmer for at least an our then to warm setting.

That's how I kept myself busy.

Open carry mean firearms View attachment 50141

View attachment 50143

View attachment 50144
Divers mate what a splendid story. It never happens like that in the movies
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHItywaQVi4&ab_channel=nortecnadno

I found joy in reading about this today...

Arabidopsis thaliana / thale cress flowers by Marie-Lan Nguyen, CC license

Arabidopsis-thaliana-thale-cress-weed-flower-cc-Marie-Lan-Nguyen.jpg

The ground-breaking research, which could lead to future chemotherapy cancer advances, starred Arabidopsis thaliana – also known as thale cress.

The leaves were treated with the plant hormone jasmonate, a substance discovered in jasmine that boosts plant responses to stress. Then they incubated the treated leaves with breast cancer cells.

The researchers found that not only did the cancer cells stop growing, the normal cells remained unaffected.

Source: Common Weed Stops the Growth of Breast Cancer Cells, Scientists in London Report

I am still in a weird funk where I don't feel like cooking and I don't feel like eating and according to my clothes I am losing weight. I also don't feel like reading, which is usually one of my favorite activities, but now I can't even pick up a book. It's probably a reflection of all that we're going through, I tend to repress and somatize my feelings instead of expressing this. I'm just going with the flow and accepting this is a phase that will be over, not trying too hard to fight it.

I am still in a weird funk where I don't feel like cooking and I don't feel like eating and according to my clothes I am losing weight. I also don't feel like reading, which is usually one of my favorite activities, but now I can't even pick up a book. It's probably a reflection of all that we're going through, I tend to repress and somatize my feelings instead of expressing this. I'm just going with the flow and accepting this is a phase that will be over, not trying too hard to fight it.

You are not alone. This pandemic is messing with everyone's heads. On the plus side, if you are losing weight, you can buy some chocolates, and not feel guilty about eating them. :D

CD

You are not alone. This pandemic is messing with everyone's heads. On the plus side, if you are losing weight, you can buy some chocolates, and not feel guilty about eating them. :D

CD

Indeed it is. I have been extremely lucky as no one I know got sick or into financial distress, but it's still not a pleasant moment to be alive.

I'm tryiing to schedule my gall bladder surgery, and the doctor's offices are making it complicated. Today, I got a call from my biggest customer, and they have some work for me to do asap. So, that has to come before the surgery. I can't say no to a few thousands bucks worth of work for elective surgery. Things are getting complicated... but money talks, and I pay attention.

CD

I thought you'd been a bit quiet lately. Hope you get back in the swing of things soon.

Indeed it is. I have been extremely lucky as no one I know got sick or into financial distress, but it's still not a pleasant moment to be alive.
I understand mate, I'm an old fart who has been very lucky to be able to live most of my life to a hedonistic drum beat. You are an intelligent young woman. Thats probably the reason it feels unpleasant at present. The light is appearing at the end of the tunnel with Trumps defeat and the Covid vaccine. Go make and photograph some Pasties De Nata and make an old man very happy. That's an order!

Thank you so much Burt Blank :D I'd love to photograph pasteis de nata for you but we have new mandatory curfew times in Portugal the next two weeks. My sister was still able to sleep in my home this last weekend and we ate ice cream which was good lol

Sad to hear that you're a bit down; well, who isn't (in these times)... I thought you were experiencing a passionate romance with Diogo Morgado and didn't have quite as much time to hang around here as usual.

There's already a functional COVID vaccine on its way to the market and by next spring, everything will probably function quite normally. I recall having all kinds of weird times of anxiety and melancholy in my early years. And I ended up being an unbridled, happy terrier! Cheer up, lovely!

diogo_morgado.jpg

Diogo Morgado (Photo source)

Hemulen you are so funny! :laugh: Yes Diogo looks good but our paths have never crossed. Yes this will be over it's just a funny phase and I'm letting myself ride with it. I am healthy and safe, my basic needs are met, I am doing well and this will be over. I really believe in the old adage "this too shall pass", life goes in circles, sometimes you're up other times you're down, that's the way it goes.

Thank you so much Burt Blank :D I'd love to photograph pasteis de nata for you but we have new mandatory curfew times in Portugal the next two weeks. My sister was still able to sleep in my home this last weekend and we ate ice cream which was good lol
Cheat
1605015927163.png

Yes Diogo looks good but our paths have never crossed.
Cheat, I let Bardot have her wicked way with me a million times before I was 12 yrs
1605016177447.png

Blimey, some good news, at least on a selfish level. I've just been the recipient of just over £3000, from an old company pension scheme that had nothing in it. I only had it for 18 months and took the money out ages ago. The scheme remained open and has just been closed. Talk about money for nothing...

Time to buy some beer, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom