The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had an allergic reaction to the infusion today, which apparently happens a lot if you're having the treatment more often (I was on it years ago for a long time too). Your immune system fights being subdued, basically. So even though I had an allergic reaction we just continued the treatment because it's the only way to solve my other issues. I just had a load of hydrocortisone (fluid prednisone) to go with my treatment. And some specific allergy treatment I forgot the name of.

So my face is twice it's size for a few days, and my body is full of red itchy spots, but the pain is gone already. And that really makes it all worth it anyway! :dance:

Just so that you all know, I'm taking a few days out so away from CB to deal with a family issue (my mum has had a (minor?) ischaemic stroke whilst away from home in the UK). I got the call during evening meal. It's what my Grannie and mamgu (Welsh for Great Grannie) both died from. My mum should be home by the weekend provided nothing else happens but they've already diagnosed an additional problem she didn't know about (Atrial fibrillation). Luckily she got treatment in the 3hr window that is key to best recovery and can walk and has most of the use back in her right arm and hand. Her speech was still very hesitant when I spoke to her, but my step-father says it's considerably better than it was.

My siblings, one in particular isn't coping with it very well. So I'm juggling quite a bit right and just need some time away.

I have a stye in my left eye...really painful and sticky :blackeye:

Never had one before so not sure how to treat it. No doubt there is some weird and wonderful potion of some kind...

Last edited:
I have a stye in my left eye...really painful and sticky :blackeye:

Never had one before so not sure how to treat it. No doubt there is some weird and wonderful potion of some kind...
I used to get those frequently. Best advice doc could give me was a warm compress on the eye.

I get a persistent one (which gets its own name, chalazion) because I have rosacea, and I’ve been using a medicated eye wipe (recommended by one doctor and dismissed as quackery by another) made by Cliradex. Not sure if they’re available there - I order them straight from the company and they seem to help.

I used to get those frequently. Best advice doc could give me was a warm compress on the eye.

I get a persistent one (which gets its own name, chalazion) because I have rosacea, and I’ve been using a medicated eye wipe (recommended by one doctor and dismissed as quackery by another) made by Cliradex. Not sure if they’re available there - I order them straight from the company and they seem to help.

My colleagues recommend a warm compress, they have kids so they should know. Feels like I have been punched in the face :( A lot of pain for a tiny spot.

Oh believe me, I’m probably going to need to be put on a longe line I’m so out of practice…I hope I can remember how to steer!
Had to postpone the attempt at riding…it was super windy here yesterday, plus horsey hadn’t been ridden in several days. Both of those factors tend to make him a bit squirrelly, so adding in the fact that I have no leg strength (making it harder to stay on through any shenanigans), we decided not to tempt fate.

Will try again on Sunday…hoping for good weather and a nice calm pony!

I'm looking for another job. Now that I've made it in the hotel kitchen, where you've to do a lot of other things besides of cooking, I'm looking for 8 h of straight cooking and stressfull days, something challenging.

My ex boss might already have something, it's a Bistro with bowls and pizza. Lots of modern energy, colorful, fresh,natural, LGBTQ, good coffee.

I'm looking for another job. Now that I've made it in the hotel kitchen, where you've to do a lot of other things besides of cooking, I'm looking for 8 h of straight cooking and stressfull days, something challenging.

My ex boss might already have something, it's a Bistro with bowls and pizza. Lots of modern energy, colorful, fresh,natural, LGBTQ, good coffee.
Good luck with getting the new job, let us know how it goes!

Just so that you all know, I'm taking a few days out so away from CB to deal with a family issue (my mum has had a (minor?) ischaemic stroke whilst away from home in the UK). I got the call during evening meal. It's what my Grannie and mamgu (Welsh for Great Grannie) both died from. My mum should be home by the weekend provided nothing else happens but they've already diagnosed an additional problem she didn't know about (Atrial fibrillation). Luckily she got treatment in the 3hr window that is key to best recovery and can walk and has most of the use back in her right arm and hand. Her speech was still very hesitant when I spoke to her, but my step-father says it's considerably better than it was.

My siblings, one in particular isn't coping with it very well. So I'm juggling quite a bit right and just need some time away.
So sorry to hear that, sending hugs ! :hug:

My MIL had a stroke last year, and she recovered pretty well. Fingers crossed for you.

So sorry to hear that, sending hugs ! :hug:

My MIL had a stroke last year, and she recovered pretty well. Fingers crossed for you.
Thanks. It's been a hectic few days. Despite being "half a world away", being the eldest means I get to deal with siblings. Let's just leave it at that. The thought of issues with our mother has been too much for one of them because of issues with his real father, a family row resulting in an uncle leaving and never coming back (read "like a father" instead of uncle) and an ex-step-father. More than once he's not taken the opportunity to visit someone (3 family and 1 close friend of family) assuming they'll always be there for another time and then there hasn't been another time (four times so far, so I'm going to be surprised if he changes but I can only hope)...

Anyhow, my mother has made a remarkable recovery from all accounts. When she was taken into hospital she was paralysised down her right side, couldn't talk etc... a CT scan showed it was a clot not a bleed causing the stroke so she was able to have the new clot busting medication within the critical time window.

When I spoke with her first time round, I got the impression that she didn't know who I was but I lost the line almost within 2 minutes of starting the conversation. It took another few minutes to get her back and she carried on with the conversation as though nothing had happened, literally carrying on mid sentence!
Her speech was hesitant and stuttering. My step father has since said that she's continued to improve and when I had a text message conversation with her at 4am my time this morning, she sounded much more like herself.
I gather that she can walk unaided and can still knit (that's important to her) and was worrying about our stepfather getting her some PJs so was already clearly feeling better.

She was discharged (they are not keeping people in unless you really need to be in hospital) and will have rehab at home. They travelled back to the hotel they were staying in when it happened, for the final night and to allow get chance to sleep, and they'll drive home Saturday UK time.

I'm try to speak with her at my usual time on Sunday unless she wants to lie in bed for longer(?).

I just hope she realises she needs to change and be more active. It's a wake up call.

A colleague of my husband hasn't been so fortunate, he collapsed and died in hospital overnight. He was younger than my husband.

Not been a great week really.

Anyhow, my mother has made a remarkable recovery from all accounts.
Very happy to hear that. So much of your account reminds me of MrsT’s stroke episode, including having to deal with one particular sibling of hers while also trying to do everything necessary for MrsT on my own. Hang in there. Things will start to settle down eventually.

A colleague of my husband hasn't been so fortunate, he collapsed and died in hospital overnight. He was younger than my husband.
That’s awful. We’ve had coworkers get sick and die, and we did have one who collapsed at died at work, and it’s such a sad, odd feeling, because it really does hammer home how fleeting life really can be. Do you know if his family are getting some support from his employer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom