The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We needed a new windscreen last week after hubby got hit by a tick on our dirty road. We were a tad frustrated when the windscreen people had to cancel on us in Thursday morning. The mechanic was off sick.
Turns out it was rather fortunate. We've just been hit by another (10 mins ago). Both are too large to be repaired! Talk about lucky. There's an excess with windscreen replacements. Repairs are free if it is less than 20mm... neither are.

We needed a new windscreen last week after hubby got hit by a tick on our dirty road. We were a tad frustrated when the windscreen people had to cancel on us in Thursday morning. The mechanic was off sick.
Turns out it was rather fortunate. We've just been hit by another (10 mins ago). Both are too large to be repaired! Talk about lucky. There's an excess with windscreen replacements. Repairs are free if it is less than 20mm... neither are.
Windscreens are free here? Included in insurance.

Russ

Windscreens are free here? Included in insurance.

Russ
Depends on your insurance here. You don't have to have anything about compulsory third party but even with comprehensive, there's still an excess charge of $100‐200 to pay. I'm not sure on our current insurance because we changed last year. It might be free, but it probably isn't, but given windscreens cost +$1,000, I'm not worried about an excess.

Edit: hubby's just told me that we don't have any excess on this insurance so that's good.

Depends on your insurance here. You don't have to have anything about compulsory third party but even with comprehensive, there's still an excess charge of $100‐200 to pay. I'm not sure on our current insurance because we changed last year. It might be free, but it probably isn't, but given windscreens cost +$1,000, I'm not worried about an excess.

Edit: hubby's just told me that we don't have any excess on this insurance so that's good.
You are the first person I've heard of replacing one in about 8 years.
I've only ever done 1 on my hilux. A rock fell off a trailer, and the guy kept going.

Russ

You are the first person I've heard of replacing one in about 8 years.
I've only ever done 1 on my hilux. A rock fell off a trailer, and the guy kept going.

Russ
This is the second in this vehicle in 5 years. But that's the cost of living on dirt roads. My 4×4 also has a chip in the windscreen as well but it hasn't grown or gotten bigger thankfully.

Does anyone have the 411 on FowlersFreeTime ?
I'm sure that his little girl is occupying alot of his time ...
I'm alive LOL
Hello all and apologies for the extended hiatus. Had some stressful months during my absence and also forgot my password for this site since I hadn't logged in for so long. The punchline here is that "FowlersFreeTime" simply ran out of free time once I became a father LOL!
All is well, and I'll post up a few pics with the princess when I'm back from my current trip. I hope you have all been well and I'll be catching up on some forum threads soon. Cheers!

Most car insurance here will pay for repairs 100-percent, but replacements have a deductible. Mine is $50.

CD

I'm alive LOL
Hey! Welcome back! From past experience, I know that parenting duties involve (a) getting up at odd hours (b) severe lack of sleep (c) lots of love, which leaves you with no time for anything else. Congratulations on your new addition to the family!!

Most car insurance here will pay for repairs 100-percent, but replacements have a deductible. Mine is $50.

CD
You don't have to have cover for your vehicle in Australia (and the UK).. so there are various levels of insurance, from compulsory third party, third party fire & theft, comprehensive and fully Comprehensive and what's covered varies from company. Also to make insurance cheaper, you can opt to pay a certain level of excess, so if you opt to pay $500 excess, any claim under $500 isn't covered basically... and anything over that, you pay the first $500. it helps people get their % years deductions without claim going. Glass is another category here as well because of the frequency of broken windscreens from gravel roads (though today's was roadworks on a sealed road where they just lay a gravel section down for X many weeks and everyone compacts it by driving over and then it gets a layer of tarmac. Nothing like the repairs or foundations in the UK!

But here any collision with an animal is also a different matter as well because kangaroo and wallaby impacts are so frequent. Insurance companies anticipate a collision every 2 years with these mobile rocks, wombats are worse because they go under the vehicle. animal collisions get a classification of their own, and hail storm damage is another category as well built in to be expected and our new insurance company do actually sent you a text alert when large or giant hail is being experienced and you're in the storms path.

It's a mixed bag and you have to be on the ball with what's covered. Similar with breakdown cover. I might have an off-road vehicle but the rules of my cover are a 2 wheel drive vehicle has to be able to get to it. If we go off roading it cross country/ outback we'll need to get dedicated cover for that trip as well as car much more than 1 spare wheel and tyre...

You don't have to have cover for your vehicle in Australia (and the UK).. so there are various levels of insurance, from compulsory third party, third party fire & theft, comprehensive and fully Comprehensive and what's covered varies from company. Also to make insurance cheaper, you can opt to pay a certain level of excess, so if you opt to pay $500 excess, any claim under $500 isn't covered basically... and anything over that, you pay the first $500. it helps people get their % years deductions without claim going. Glass is another category here as well because of the frequency of broken windscreens from gravel roads (though today's was roadworks on a sealed road where they just lay a gravel section down for X many weeks and everyone compacts it by driving over and then it gets a layer of tarmac. Nothing like the repairs or foundations in the UK!

But here any collision with an animal is also a different matter as well because kangaroo and wallaby impacts are so frequent. Insurance companies anticipate a collision every 2 years with these mobile rocks, wombats are worse because they go under the vehicle. animal collisions get a classification of their own, and hail storm damage is another category as well built in to be expected and our new insurance company do actually sent you a text alert when large or giant hail is being experienced and you're in the storms path.

It's a mixed bag and you have to be on the ball with what's covered. Similar with breakdown cover. I might have an off-road vehicle but the rules of my cover are a 2 wheel drive vehicle has to be able to get to it. If we go off roading it cross country/ outback we'll need to get dedicated cover for that trip as well as car much more than 1 spare wheel and tyre...

That's pretty similar to what we have. Texas requires everyone to have liability insurance, but a lot of people don't have it. I seem to always get hit by to those people. If they get out of the car and don't speak English, they probably don't have insurance. In that event, you can add Uninsured Motorist insurance to your policy. I have that -- and have needed it. It covered $16,000 dollars in damage to one of my Audis (that was a beautiful car :cry: ).

Comprehensive packages cover things like hail and broken windshields. I have that, too. Collision covers my car if I am at fault in and accident (including one-car accidents, like sliding off the road into a fixed object), I have that, but only used it once).

Breakdown insurance is usually a totally separate thing, sold by "auto clubs" like AAA. They will tow your car, change a tire, jump-start a dead battery, bring you gasoline if you run out, and things like that.

CD

Husband made an appointment today for our roof to be checked to see how many solar panels can fit on it. But he doesn't know when it was today, who it was or what their phone number is. So I am basically waiting all day to see who shows up. I love him dearly but his chaos can be a little difficult at times :scratchhead:

Husband made an appointment today for our roof to be checked to see how many solar panels can fit on it. But he doesn't know when it was today, who it was or what their phone number is. So I am basically waiting all day to see who shows up. I love him dearly but his chaos can be a little difficult at times :scratchhead:
That sounds like the kind of thing my mom would do LOL. I never met anyone as chaotic and disorganized as her. And she's a Virgo (Sun, Moon, Mercury and Pluto in Virgo).

Temperatures are due to get high again by the end of the week. Exactly 1 week from these dates it was below freezing, now they are forecasting body temperature for the weekend!
Screenshot_20230313_081428_Weatherzone+.jpg

:o_o:
And we're out on Saturday and Sunday in that.

images.jpeg-1.jpg
So you weren't talking about a bug I guess, I was trying to figure out how one of these could damage a windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom