Recipe The official Coronation quiche

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:56 PM
This is the official recipe for the Coronation quiche as issued by the Royal family: https://www.royal.uk/the-coronation-quiche. Please add comments or photos if you make it! The recipe is for a 20cm flan tin.

Ingredients
Pastry
125g plain flour
Pinch of salt
25g cold butter, diced
25g lard
2 tablespoons milk
Or 1 x 250g block of ready-made shortcrust pastry

Filling
125ml milk
175ml double cream
2 medium eggs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon,
Salt and pepper
100g grated cheddar cheese,
180g cooked spinach, lightly chopped
60g cooked broad beans or soya beans

Method
To make the pastry
  1. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl; add the fats and rub the mixture together using your finger tips until you get a sandy, breadcrumb like texture. Add the milk a little at a time and bring the ingredients together into a dough. Cover and allow to rest in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
  2. Lightly flour the work surface and roll out the pastry to a circle a little larger than the top of the tin and approximately 5mm thick.
  3. Line the tin with the pastry, taking care not to have any holes or the mixture could leak. Cover and rest for a further 30 minutes in the fridge.
  4. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
  5. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, add baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes, before removing the greaseproof paper and baking beans.
  6. Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C.
  7. Beat together the milk, cream, eggs, herbs and seasoning.
  8. Scatter 1/2 of the grated cheese in the blind-baked base, top with the chopped spinach and beans and herbs, then pour over the liquid mixture.
  9. If required gently give the mixture a delicate stir to ensure the filling is evenly dispersed but be careful not to damage the pastry case.
  10. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and lightly golden.

I do intend to make this. My first observation is that there is no mention of removing the papery skin from the broad beans. I reckon this is quite important for visual appeal alone.

Couldn’t he have picked something like “Fish-and-chips quiche,” or “Spotted dick quiche,” or even “Spotted fish-and-dick-chips quiche?” - now that would be British! :wink:

The recipe looks good, until I get to the broad beans. I just can't wrap my head around that.

CD

That's the bit about the recipe I like. Broad beans (fresh fava beans in the USA) are brilliant with tarragon. But they do need to be slipped out of that papery coating to reveal their brilliant green in this quiche, I think.

My dad used to grow broad beans, and we always ate them with the skin on. However, what Morning Glory suggests is not only logical, in that the skins might cause digestive problems for some, but also aesthetically more pleasing: from a dull grey to a brilliant green.
My jury is still out on this dish. I'm still thinking "onion, onion, onion" would improve it, especially as the tarragon is the only aromatic. It all sounds a bit bland to me. I suppose I'll have to make it as well, as soon as I can get hold of some broad beans.

My dad used to grow broad beans, and we always ate them with the skin on. However, what Morning Glory suggests is not only logical, in that the skins might cause digestive problems for some, but also aesthetically more pleasing: from a dull grey to a brilliant green.
My jury is still out on this dish. I'm still thinking "onion, onion, onion" would improve it, especially as the tarragon is the only aromatic. It all sounds a bit bland to me. I suppose I'll have to make it as well, as soon as I can get hold of some broad beans.
We occasionally grow broad beans, and I always skin them, I'm not common.

Back
Top Bottom