Recipe Tofu and Asparagus Curry Soup

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
8:50 AM
  • 1 tbsp. peanut oil (canola or vegetable oil works too)
  • 14 oz. extra-firm tofu, pressed for 30 minutes (you can use a tofu press), cut into triangles
  • 1-13.5 oz. can light unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/4 c. red curry paste
  • 3/4 c. vegetable broth
  • 2 tsp. soy sauce or tamari
  • 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 lb. asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • cooked rice or rice noodles, lime wedges, and cilantro leaves for serving
Instructions
  1. Heat peanut oil in large wok or skillet over medium high heat. Add tofu triangles and cook for 5 minutes; flip tofu over and cook 5 minutes more on other side. Place tofu on a plate lined with paper towels (to soak up excess oil) and wipe out skillet (carefully!).
  2. Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup of coconut milk and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens (about 2 minutes). Stir in red curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  3. Add remaining coconut milk, broth, soy sauce, and sugar. Once sauce comes to a simmer, add red pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in asparagus and cook 3 minutes more. Return tofu to skillet and stir until coated with curry sauce. Remove from heat and serve over noodles or rice; garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.

I have left over asparagus. Colleen has been requesting a tofu dish. Thoughts? I think I need to add a little bit of heat to it. I'm going to look for some kind of chilis to cook in it. Or I'll season it with crushed red pepper. Also thinking of adding shrimp (I'm not a huge tofu fan).

Colleen has been asking me to try my hand at a tofu dish. This seems pretty simply. As always I'll appreciate any tweaks/suggestions.

I'll add pictures tonight when I cook it.

B

I omitted the brown sugar, used yellow and red bell peppers, added fresh basil, and a dash of fish sauce.

Oh, and I bought new bowls....:)

20180617_170414.jpg
20180617_171933.jpg
20180617_173347.jpg
20180617_173202.jpg

I think your recipe sounds good - fish sauce will definitely have perked it up. It looks appetising. Did Colleen like?

I cook a lot with tofu (you may have seen I even won a competition for tofu and my recipe card is now included in the Tofoo brand packs! Its not the easiest ingredient to work with as it doesn't intrinsically taste of very much at all!

Have you tried marinating the tofu before cooking? You can marinate for a few hours or longer in soy sauce, fish sauce, chilli etc. It soaks up the flavour.

Have you tried marinating the tofu before cooking? You can marinate for a few hours or longer in soy sauce, fish sauce, chilli etc. It soaks up the flavour.

I didn't know that. I will definitely do that next time I use it.

Did Colleen like?

She loved it. I think using coconut milk vs yogurt was also an improvement.

I can't get over how easy, yet delicious and flavorful these Thai dishes are.

Another flavour which works with these type of dishes is kaffir lime leaves (fresh or frozen) if you can get them. And if you have never used or tasted them, you are in for a big treat. If you get fresh ones and only use a few they freeze really well and can be used straight from the freezer. You only nee one or two leaves to flavour a whole dish.

Thank you. I've never seen these on the Shelf before, but I've also never look for them.

This site has improved my skills tremendously I learn new stuff every time I'm here.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom