Recipe Tofu, Aubergine and Mango Curry

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:39 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is one of those recipes that I tried once and then adapted. In this case I have adapted it to a certain person's ingredient challenge. @morning glory Anyhow, it also happens to be tonight's evening meal!
Anyhow, this recipe is adapted from Vegan Richa's Mango Curry Tofu.
Incidentally, in India, curry simply means sauce!

Ingredients
For the Veg
  • 14 ounces firm tofu (not silken)
  • 1-2 medium size aubergines
  • 2 tbsp safflower or another neutral oil such as vegetable oil
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
For the Curry/Sauce
  • 3/4 cup/1 large roughly chopped red onion
  • 1-inch knob of roughly chopped ginger
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp safflower/vegetable oil
  • 1/4 tsp asafoetida (omit if not available)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 6-10 curry leaves
  • 4 cloves
  • 1 tin (440g) coconut milk
  • 1 ripe mango, pureed (leave some chunks, they are nice!)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
  • garam masala or cayenne pepper for garnish

Method
For the Veg
  1. Drain the tofu, then wrap the slab in a clean tea towel. Place between 2 large dinner plates and use something heavy (couple of bags of flour for example) to press down on the top plate and allow the tofu to drain for about an hour. Make sure that the liquid can drain away...
  2. Chop the aubergine into 1cm dice.
  3. Once the tofu has drain, also cut into 1cm dice.
  4. Heat the oil in a large pan and when it is hot, add the tofu and cook until it starts to brown.
  5. Now add the aubergine, stirring occasionally and cook until most of the tofu and aubergine dice are browning.
  6. Add the cayenne pepper, cinnamon, garam masala and salt and mix well to coat.
  7. Cook for another couple of minutes and set aside to rest.
For the Curry/Sauce
  1. Put the onion, ginger and garlic into a liquidiser or food processor and blend into a smooth puree.
  2. Heat the oil in a large pan and when it is hot add the asafoetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and cloves and fry for 1 minute.
  3. Add the pureed onion mixture and cook until the onion mixture is dry stirring occasionally for around 15 minutes.
  4. Add the coconut milk, mango pulp/chunks, salt and vinegar and mix well.
  5. Add the tofu & aubergine mixture to the pan and season to taste (pepper and salt).
  6. Bring the whole lot to boil, cover and simmer for around 5 minutes.
  7. Reduce the heat and cook uncovered until the sauce thickens and achieves a silky consistency in about 15 minutes.
  8. Taste and add salt, upto 1tsp of brown sugar (if mango not very ripe) or neither as needed.
  9. Stir inthe fresh coriander and a dash of garam masala and serve hot over rice.

I'm liking the sound of this. Have tofu but no mango. Strangely enough I was drawn to the mangos when shopping in Aldi earlier but then I thought, why do I need mangos? 'I'll trot along there in the morning to buy one and I'll make this for my vegetarian daughter tomorrow!

I tried this and found it to be rather sweetish for my taste. I tend to think that aubergine needs more robust flavours. But the tofu was good in the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom