Recipe Tomato Garlic Prosciutto Frittata

I've never seen flour and baking soda in a frittata before, that's unique for sure.

Nor me! I'm not sure why its needed. I guess the long cooking time is to cook the flour since normally a frittata is quite a fast dish to make if the added ingredients are pre-cooked.

There are some interesting flavour combinations here which I can see working in a quiche/flan.

I've seen flour and baking soda in omelette recipes, but not in ones referred to as a frittata. Usually, from what I've come across, they're just referred to as an omelette soufflé, or a puffy omelette, or even just a baked omelette.

I did quite a bit of digging around on the web looking for examples of frittatas before jumping in with my own. And yes, I found example frittatas using flour and baking soda.

Here's an example: Asparagus Frittata

Someone uses baking soda and flour in frittata although it’s a personal choice, nobody else in Italy makes frittata by using them usually. Not saying it’s not good as final result, just referring to the method. I personally don’t feel the need to add them otherwise it would be a savoury cake.

I never made a frittata before, so when I see an example that uses flour and baking soda and the results look great, I figured that the option will work out well.

I never made a frittata before, so when I see an example that uses flour and baking soda and the results look great, I figured that the option will work out well.
The instructions for your frittata are instructions for a casserole or flan, not a frittata. A frittata always starts with sautéing the ingredients that will make up the frittata first in some olive oil, then the beaten egg mixture is added to the pan and continues to cook until the bottom is set, then placed in a hot oven, normally around 400 degrees which puffs up the whole mixture and makes them very tender and takes about 5 minutes give or take, longer renders the frittata tough and dry. This is basically the equivalent to the French omelet.

What you have here is a greased cake pan to which beaten eggs with added flour is divided with the cooked mixture in the middle, but it will actually disperse more. The cooking times of both your original recipe and the asparagus recipe gives it a way. 30-45 minutes and the asparagus is 45-75 minutes. which on it's own is way too much of a time spread. Personally putting eggs in an oven that long without cream or similar will render the eggs tough, dry and overcooked. Cream would save those recipe like in a quiche. flyinglentris please don't take this personal, these are not your recipes and you admit to never making a frittata before. I've found many similar food recipes that take culinary licence and call something catchy or think they've reinvented the wheel, when they have not. Actually making a frittata in a frying pan sautéing all the ingredients and watching the eggs start to cook around the edges before you put it in the oven is a very sensual and rewarding experience, don't let that get away from the tradition of the frittata otherwise it becomes something else. imo

Back
Top Bottom