Recipe Tzimmes, Jewish lamb stew with prunes

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
5:30 PM
Website
www.instagram.com
This is a traditional Jewish stew, usually served on the Sabbath. It's been tweaked a little to a more luxurious version by adding wine and lamb. The original stew is often just prunes with sweet root vegetables, though often a type of red meat is used too.

Ingredients:
- 500 g fatty lamb meat
- 1 cup/ 100 g pitted prunes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup stock
- Neutral oil

1. Cut lamb into 2-inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and brown in a large skillet with oil over medium-high heat; then remove.
2. Add onions, garlic, prunes, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, salt and pepper to the skillet; cook until fragrant and golden.
3) Add wine, stock and the browned lamb. When the liquid boils, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, takes about 2 1/2 hours.
4) Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve with rice and optional garlic bread.

Last edited:
This looks terrific. I wondered if I could use raisins instead of prunes (since I have raisins), and it seems that other tzimmes recipes sometimes use raisins. I do think I need to get a fatty meat for this, though: I have some chicken breasts that I haven't prepared yet, but I think it would turn out less luxurious than this. I might just give that a try, though, since I have everything else to make this.

I also noticed that most tzimmes recipes use a massive amount of carrots. I actually like the look of yours better, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this. I also have carrots handy.

This looks terrific. I wondered if I could use raisins instead of prunes (since I have raisins), and it seems that other tzimmes recipes sometimes use raisins. I do think I need to get a fatty meat for this, though: I have some chicken breasts that I haven't prepared yet, but I think it would turn out less luxurious than this. I might just give that a try, though, since I have everything else to make this.

I also noticed that most tzimmes recipes use a massive amount of carrots. I actually like the look of yours better, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this. I also have carrots handy.
I would use carrots if you can, it's more traditional and adds more texture if you're going to use raisins instead of prunes. I didn't use carrots because of my medical situation, but it would taste good combined this way.
I do think fatty meat is essential, chicken breast would be very dry and not have enough time to absorb the flavours well. Chicken thighs are an option you could use instead, if you happen to have them on hand. If you're looking to make it leaner, you could also trim the fatty edges off the meat.

I had a jewish cooking lesson in school once and the cook was jewish, after he told us all the rules I couldn't think about anything else than how hard it can be to run a kosher restaurant.
Stay healthy
Yes definitely , especially for Orthodox Jews. Just imagine all the washing up alone! But it's fascinating too, and their food is amazing

Back
Top Bottom