Recipe Vegan pulled pork

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
9:48 PM
Jackfruit makes a surprisingly good vegan alternative to pulled pork. I've made it once before in a bbq style, but I used this recipe for a tex-mex lunch party. It's based on a recipe from Feasting at Home.

When making pulled jackfruit, the trick is to make sure the jackfruit is as dry as possible and cook of the remaining liquid, and adding sugar to caramelise.

Ingredients
1 tin Jackfruit in water (don't use the one in syrup!)
About 2 tbsp oil
1 onion. Diced.
4 garlic cloves. Chopped
Fresh chilli to taste
1 tbsp soy sauce (I use gluten free)
Spice mix:
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp (hot) smoked paprika
1 tsp brown sugar

1. If the jackfruit isn't already shredded, cut in slices. I cut up the hard bits a bit more too.

2. Drain and squeeze in muslin to get out as much liquid as possible.

3. Heat half the oil and saute the onion, garlic and chilli for about 5 minutes until golden. Keep stiring so it does not burn!

4. Add jackfruit and stir to coat in the onion mixture. Add soy sauce and stir again.

5. Add all the spices and sugar and stir to coat the jackfruit. Add more oil and cook on a low heat until catemalised and resembles pulled pork.

We had these in corn tortillas with salsa, guacamole and (vegan, oat-based) sour cream.

20220604_094601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackfruit makes a surprisingly good vegan alternative to pulled pork. I've made it once before in a bbq style, but I used this recipe for a tex-mex lunch party. It's based on a recipe from Feasting at Home.

When making pulled jackfruit, the trick is to make sure the jackfruit is as dry as possible and cook of the remaining liquid, and adding sugar to caramelise.

Ingredients
1 tin Jackfruit in water (don't use the one in syrup!)
About 2 tbsp oil
1 onion. Diced.
4 garlic cloves. Chopped
Fresh chilli to taste
1 tbsp soy sauce (I use gluten free)
Spice mix:
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp (hot) smoked paprika
1 tsp brown sugar

1. If the jackfruit isn't already shredded, cut in slices. I cut up the hard bits a bit more too.

2. Drain and squeeze in muslin to get out as much liquid as possible.

3. Heat half the oil and saute the onion, garlic and chilli for about 5 minutes until golden. Keep stiring so it does not burn!

4. Add jackfruit and stir to coat in the onion mixture. Add soy sauce and stir again.

5. Add all the spices and sugar and stir to coat the jackfruit. Add more oil and cook on a low heat until catemalised and resembles pulled pork.

We had these in corn tortillas with salsa, guacamole and (vegan, oat-based) sour cream.

View attachment 86256

Sounds great and looks the part. Jackfruit is significantly lower in calories than pork - which means you can trough on it without feeling guilty!

I added the challenge tag.

This looks really good, I’m going to give it a try next time I see jackfruit.

My friend tried making jackfruit pulled pork once, but she just dumped it in a pan with some bbq sauce and kinda heated it up - it wasn’t necessarily bad, but it was nothing to write home about.

Sounds great and looks the part. Jackfruit is significantly lower in calories than pork - which means you can trough on it without feeling guilty!

I added the challenge tag.
90% of the calories come from sugar, so not the healthiest thing to be consuming, just thought I'd get that out there for people that are looking to reduce sugar in their diets and certainly not a protein replacement. Cheers.

90% of the calories come from sugar, so not the healthiest thing to be consuming, just thought I'd get that out there for people that are looking to reduce sugar in their diets and certainly not a protein replacement. Cheers.
That is only the case for ripe Jackfruit which you'd not be using for this recipe. Using a sweet Jackfruit would make no sense for this recipe (or any recipe using it as a meat replacement) and certainly doesn't reflect my experience of eating Jackfruit when out at restaurants.

Jackfruit for meat replacement is typically unripe or young Jackfruit with significantly lower sugar levels.
100g of unripe Jackfruit typically has around 0.5g of sugar. A serving less than 1g.

But it definitely has little to protein (1g & 1.9g respectively) either see label from a can of mine in the house.

That is only the case for ripe Jackfruit which you'd not be using for this recipe. Using a sweet Jackfruit would make no sense for this recipe (or any recipe using it as a meat replacement) and certainly doesn't reflect my experience of eating Jackfruit when out at restaurants.

Jackfruit for meat replacement is typically unripe or young Jackfruit with significantly lower sugar levels.
100g of unripe Jackfruit typically has around 0.5g of sugar. A serving less than 1g.

But it definitely has little to protein (1g & 1.9g respectively) either see label from a can of mine in the house.

View attachment 86400
The OP didn't specify and I was just looking at the nutritional info for canned jackfruit and that's what showed up so it must be for ripe jackfruit, I'm assuming. Interesting to know, so basically it's all fiber when it's unripe. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom