Recipe Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:10 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this recipe on the Huffington post website and soon located the 'original' on the minimalist Baker website. I like it because it is so simple and easy and it is vegan by default. I haven't made too many adjustments to it unlike my normal... Other than cutting back on the amount of olive oil used because I'm on a diet and I rather fancy having it...

Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta (GF)

Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 red peppers (capsicum)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • 350 ml Unsweetened Almond Milk
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1.5 tbsp cornflour (UK terminology) or arrowroot powder (or other thickener of choice)
  • A generous pinch of red chilli flakes (optional)
  • Pasta for 4 persons
Optional Extras
  • vegan parmesan cheese
  • red pepper flakes
  • Finely chopped fresh parsley or basil
Method
  1. In a very hot oven (260 C (500F, Gas 8, or as hot as your own will go)) roast your red peppers on a baking sheet until they char, turning periodically. Remove from the oven when charred all over and cover in foil or seal in a suitable bowl until cool enough to handle. Remove the charred skin, seeds and stems.
  2. Whilst the red peppers are roasting, gently fry the shallots/onions and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil until golden brown and soft - about 5 minutes.
  3. Cook pasta/spaghetti according to package instructions then drain.
  4. Whilst the pasta is cooking, transfer the sautéed onions and garlic to a blender or food processor along with the roasted peppers, almond milk, red pepper flakes, nutritional yeast and cornflour and process until smooth. Adjust seasoning as needed. Like pesto the flavour needs to be strong at this stage, so be generous.
  5. Once made, place sauce back in the frying pan over medium heat and simmer to thicken and reheat.
  6. Once thick enough for your liking, add to the spaghetti and serve immediately with vegan parmesan and red pepper flakes.

Last edited:
I like this recipe. It is simple and it is a low-cal type of recipe. However, whenever I do any kind of pasta, I like to mix in a variety of vegetables to add to both the appearance of the entire dish as well as to the flavour. If I were to try out this recipe, I would probably add in some peas, beans and carrots.

I like the recipe. I enjoy pasta but I am also the same way. I like to add more veggies when I am having pasta. I would definitely have to add some mushrooms and onions.

Back
Top Bottom