Recipe Vegan Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:49 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this recipe in the Guardian and adapted it to be vegan for my own purposes. They record is as being from "My Favourite Ingredients by Skye Gyngell" . I have also adapted another couple of recipes from there using ginger and hopefully will add them to the challenge later on in the week. I usually serve this made with coconut milk (homemade of course) where it says milk, but it is not completely necessary and a loaf of homemade rye/wholemeal sourdough. I will often add fried tofu strips to the soup to add protein, where the tofu has been marinated in a ginger/tamari sauce. If this is the case, I omit the tamari soy sauce from the recipe to avoid too much saltiness in my diet.

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, sliced
1-2 inches fresh root ginger, grated (depending of diameter of ginger and how fresh it is, plus how much you like ginger!)
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1½ litres vegetable stock
150ml (dairy-free) milk
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
Juice of ½ a lime

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, stir and cover. Sweat the onions until they're starting to soften.
  2. Add the ginger and cook until aromatic.
  3. Add the sweet potatoes and stir until they are coated in oil and staring to soften.
  4. Add the vegetable stock, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes, or until you can mash the potatoes easily against the side of the pan.
  5. Cool slightly and then liquidize/blender or use a stick blender, until you get a nice smooth consistency.
  6. Stir in the milk, soy sauce and maple syrup and squeeze in the lime juice.
  7. Season to taste.

squash and pumpkin works with ginger equally well in soups and are seasonal now in the Uk and chestnuts are a sound addition in a few weeks

I came across this recipe in the Guardian and adapted it to be vegan for my own purposes. They record is as being from "My Favourite Ingredients by Skye Gyngell" . I have also adapted another couple of recipes from there using ginger and hopefully will add them to the challenge later on in the week. I usually serve this made with coconut milk (homemade of course) where it says milk, but it is not completely necessary and a loaf of homemade rye/wholemeal sourdough. I will often add fried tofu strips to the soup to add protein, where the tofu has been marinated in a ginger/tamari sauce. If this is the case, I omit the tamari soy sauce from the recipe to avoid too much saltiness in my diet.

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, sliced
1-2 inches fresh root ginger, grated (depending of diameter of ginger and how fresh it is, plus how much you like ginger!)
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1½ litres vegetable stock
150ml (dairy-free) milk
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
Juice of ½ a lime

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, stir and cover. Sweat the onions until they're starting to soften.
  2. Add the ginger and cook until aromatic.
  3. Add the sweet potatoes and stir until they are coated in oil and staring to soften.
  4. Add the vegetable stock, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes, or until you can mash the potatoes easily against the side of the pan.
  5. Cool slightly and then liquidize/blender or use a stick blender, until you get a nice smooth consistency.
  6. Stir in the milk, soy sauce and maple syrup and squeeze in the lime juice.
  7. Season to taste.
I think I'd leave out the maple syrup - sweet potatoes are so sweet already. TBH I'm not that keen on them for that reason, but this sounds like a good recipe because of the salt, sour tastes provided by the soy sauce and lime.

Back
Top Bottom