Vegetables you dislike

BTW, "writing it out in you own words" isn't going to cut it. That is still a copyright violation

Recipes aren't subject to copyright in US & UK law as long as they are simply a list of ingredients and method. Photos are entirely different. Tho only thing protected any creative prose surrounding a recipe
SatNavSaysStraightOn: We also have to be very careful about copyright when it comes to printed books. Photocopying or photographing them is usually pushing it too far. Writing it out in your own words is much better.

I am a professional commercial photographer, and all of my work is copyrighted. All "creators" have their own tolerance levels. For me, I don't mind if someone posts one of my photos in a forum, as long as they give me credit for the photo. I only go after people who use my photos to profit in some way, without paying me for the photos.

As for the photo of the recipe in the book, the poster should have written in the post with the photo that it came from "Name of book," by "name of author." Putting a link to the book on Amazon.com or somewhere else people can buy the book would almost certainly protect the forum. That's free advertising for the author. I can't imagine the author complaining about that.

BTW, "writing it out in you own words" isn't going to cut it. That is still a copyright violation, unless, as with the photo of the page, you give proper credit to the author.

Hope that helps.

CD

I replied to this in a PM as its going off topic.

Sorry about the off topic thing. I was just trying to help. I don't have experience with copyright law as it applies to recipes. But, giving credit to the author is the right thing to do. I urge people to keep that in mind when they post other people's recipes.

CD

Sorry about the off topic thing. I was just trying to help. I don't have experience with copyright law as it applies to recipes. But, giving credit to the author is the right thing to do. I urge people to keep that in mind when they post other people's recipes.

CD

Oh don't be sorry - I just didn't want to get into detail about copyright in this thread.

detroitdad, I am with you all the way. When I was a kid, my mom would put carrots and potatoes in the pot with a roast, and cook it to death. She would put those cooked carrots on my plate, knowing that I didn't like them, and I couldn't get up from the table until I ate them.

I am 58-years-old now, and if she tries to put cooked carrots on my plate, I tell her, "You do realize that those are going to end up in the trash." :roflmao:

CD

Back
Top Bottom