Recipe Vegetarian kedgeree

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:50 AM
This is my own recipe for kedgeree which would normally be made with smoked haddock. In this case I've substituted smoked tofu for a vegetarian version. If you are not familiar with how a Kedgeree dish looks, there is a good example here: http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/collections/kedgeree-recipes

Ingredients:

White basmati rice measured up to the 110ml mark in a jug.
220ml vegetable stock or cold water
1 bay leaf
50g butter
1 large onion, cut into small dice
8 green cardamom pods, crushed
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 heaped teaspoon mild curry powder
A pinch of saffron (optional)
4 free-range hard- boiled or soft boiled eggs, cut into wedges.
200g packet of smoked tofu cut into chunks
Handful of finely chopped curly-leaf parsley
Sea salt and black pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon & lemon wedges, to serve

Method:

• Melt 25g of the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion with bay leaf and the cardamom. Fry the onion for 10 to 15 minutes or so, stirring regularly, until it is very soft and deep golden.
  • Sprinkle in the curry powder and turmeric and add the rice followed by 220ml of water or vegetable stock and saffron, if using.
  • Simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
  • Add the wedges of egg, parsley, tofu pieces, lemon juice and remaining butter gently and turn with a fork.
  • Replace lid and heat through very gently for five minutes.
  • Serve with lemon wedges.

I have never heard of a Kedergree but it sounds interesting. I think there are a number of interesting dishes that people can make and this sounds like one that would be flavorful and this is one of the things that you can use. It is just one of the options that you can learn about on a cooking forum.

It's so comforting to know I am not the only one unfamiliar with some of the things I see here. If I could only find the time and resources to invest in the cooking department, I'd be quite the Chef de Cuisine. I simply went all around the world to say I am unfamiliar with kedgeree, a word I have seen and overlooked several times in the pass.

Back
Top Bottom