Recipe Vidalia/sweet onion tart

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:11 PM
I doubt I'll get this made before the challenge ends, but I wanted to enter it anyway. We've made this multiple times, but not in a very long time. It could be a starter, part of a light lunch or a side.

Makes a 9-inch tart, can be doubled for 2 easily.

You will need a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom.

CRUST
1-1/3 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp finely minced/microplaned garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup (1/2 of a stick/4 Tbsp) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening (like Crisco), cut into small cubes
3 Tbsp mixed chopped herbs (like basil, chives, thyme)
3 Tbsp (about) ice water

FILLING
1/8 cup (1/4 of a stick/2 Tbsp) unsalted butter
14 ounces Vidalia or other sweet onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
small pinch of ground nutmeg
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (about 3/4 of an ounce)

CRUST:

In a food processor, blend flour, garlic and salt until mixed. Pulse in butter and shortening using short on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse corn meal. Mix in herbs by pulsing a couple of times. Turn on processor to low and gradually add enough ice water to where dough forms moist clumbs. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board, gather into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out disk of dough into about a 12-inch round. Transfer to the 9-inch tart pan, fit dough ino place and then trim edges. Place crust in freezer for 15 minutes. Make sure entire tart pan bottom is entirely supported so that the bottom piece doesn't try to come up and tear your dough. Yes, that happened to me once.

Line crust with aluminum foil lightly spayed with a cooking spray. Fill with dried beans or pie weights. Blind bake until outside edge is set, about 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans/weights, and continue baking until golden, about 10 minutes, piercing any bubbles that may form. Cool completely on a rack. Again, be sure you keep the entire bottom supported so the bottom piece doesn't try to come up and tear your dough.

FILLING:

Preheat over to 350 degrees F.

Melt butter in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add onions and water. Cover and cook until onions are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook until basically no liquid remains, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

In a medium bowl, whisk half and half, cream, eggs, yolks, salt, pepper and nutmeg until well mixed.

Place onions in bottom of crust. Gently and carefully pour egg mixture over the onions. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until top begins to brown, about 30 minutes. Cool on a rack until just warm. Serve.

TIP: While blind baking and during the final baking, even while in the freezer if you have the room, place the tart pan on a cookie sheet. You won't have to worry about the tart pan separating that way.

Last edited:
Savoury flans/tarts/quiches are always a favourite with me and this sounds delightful. I like the simplicity of the filling which allows the seet onions to take centre stage. I also like the addition of garlic to the pastry crust. I must try doing that.

Back
Top Bottom