What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

Put coffee, throw close to boiling water on it.
Cover with filter
Let stand for a minute or 2
I tried the inverted method yesterday. It seemed a lot more dangerous, as the whole unit is less stable, with very hot steeping coffee sat on top the narrower plunger. I nearly tipped it putting the filter cap on.

The coffee, though…noticeably more bitter. I know I’ve read some reviews of the coffee the Aeropress produces that say it’s too smooth, so perhaps that’s what led to the development of the inverted method, idk.

I’ve been posting over amongst some Aeropress aficionados on another forum (where I first heard about this contraption), and after relaying slightly more detailed info there, they’ve come to the conclusion that I have a defective unit, probably the cap, highlighting the extreme difficulty I have it putting the cap on and taking it off and the fast dripping that occurs, regardless of the grind, and the squirting from around the cap when I do the plunge.

That’s what I’m going with. Knowing its…peculiarities, I’ll continue to use it until I’ve exhausted my filter supply, then relegate it to the Landfill of Lessons Learned.

One last question (I’m afraid to ask the other folks, because I think they think I’m a kook at this point): in all the videos I watch, once someone plunges the steeped coffee though, they immediately grab the cap, twist it off, and push the spent grounds into the trash.

How are they grabbing that cap that quickly?! I’m using less-than-boiling water, and that thing is still blistering hot after plunging. I’ve got red, irritated fingertips, after several days of doing this.

“Duh, Tasty, just let it sit for five minutes to cool down!” - but when I do that, liquid from the coffee grounds seeps out of the grounds (either going back into the steeping chamber or out through the cap, causing a mess either way).

I’d like to be able to just screw it off, like they show in the videos, but it’s way too hot for that (which makes me think those videos are using tepid water or previously-brewed coffee, just for demo purposes).

I tried the inverted method yesterday. It seemed a lot more dangerous, as the whole unit is less stable, with very hot steeping coffee sat on top the narrower plunger. I nearly tipped it putting the filter cap on.

The coffee, though…noticeably more bitter. I know I’ve read some reviews of the coffee the Aeropress produces that say it’s too smooth, so perhaps that’s what led to the development of the inverted method, idk.

I’ve been posting over amongst some Aeropress aficionados on another forum (where I first heard about this contraption), and after relaying slightly more detailed info there, they’ve come to the conclusion that I have a defective unit, probably the cap, highlighting the extreme difficulty I have it putting the cap on and taking it off and the fast dripping that occurs, regardless of the grind, and the squirting from around the cap when I do the plunge.

That’s what I’m going with. Knowing its…peculiarities, I’ll continue to use it until I’ve exhausted my filter supply, then relegate it to the Landfill of Lessons Learned.

One last question (I’m afraid to ask the other folks, because I think they think I’m a kook at this point): in all the videos I watch, once someone plunges the steeped coffee though, they immediately grab the cap, twist it off, and push the spent grounds into the trash.

How are they grabbing that cap that quickly?! I’m using less-than-boiling water, and that thing is still blistering hot after plunging. I’ve got red, irritated fingertips, after several days of doing this.

“Duh, Tasty, just let it sit for five minutes to cool down!” - but when I do that, liquid from the coffee grounds seeps out of the grounds (either going back into the steeping chamber or out through the cap, causing a mess either way).

I’d like to be able to just screw it off, like they show in the videos, but it’s way too hot for that (which makes me think those videos are using tepid water or previously-brewed coffee, just for demo purposes).
Are you not tempted to send it back and say it leaks?

Sorry to hear TastyReuben
I enjoy my coffee from it.
Yes the upside down thingy looks unstable. Esp the first couple of times.
But I haven't had any issues after using it for about 2-3 years, daily.

The "standard" way also worked but you got to get the plunger in and then pull up a bit to prevent dripping.
The upside down works better for me as it is contained.

In the upside down situation, the filter is only in contact with the hot water for a short while, so easy to remove the filter immediately. No burns
I don't recall burning my hands with the standard situation either, but it's been a while.

4 more jungle book plates.
2 Six foot (182cm) trestle tables.
5 1/2 metres fabric for the tablecloth.
Thinking about buying a few mini milk bottles, might make little real cream sodas.
Not sure when I'd serve that though. Possibly at the end with pud?

box-grater.jpg

Nothing on the horizon but I recently bought a new box grater to replace one that was getting dull. It is larger than the older one, has a curved surface and can turn a couple of potatoes into hash browns in less than a minute. $12 on Amazon.

Time to buy another of those electric kettles. The bottom came apart this morning, so water for the tea was boiled in a pan this morning.
Plus a proper food processor. I made some lentil croquettes yesterday, which involves making a paste of the lentils. Didn't work because it just beat the lentils into little bits, instead of a paste.
I just bought my 1st electric kettle and I love it. I don't know why I waited so long!

I agree 100%
I was moaning about exactly the same thing yesterday!
I bought some 'Noffee' which is roasted chicory that is ground like coffee.
The instructions said "try 4-6grams and adjust brew time according to taste"

Ooh that annoyed me, no mention of how much water or what brew time. Like I want to spent days experimenting with postage scales and minute amounts of grinds and a stop watch!
Tbh if it hadn't of turned out perfectly the first time I made it (which it did) it would have been soon into the food waste!

So yer I feel your pain but I also can't understand how it didn't work.

Is your coffee the bog standard pre-ground stuff? That work just fine.

Maybe a youtube tutorial is in order?
Oooh I used to buy a coffee down in New Orleans (Cafe DuMond) that had chicory in it, delicious! I also bought a brand of blended chicory and coffee called Community Coffee. It's not a popular thing up here in the north. I do like it blended but have never just tried chicory alone before.

I just bought my 1st electric kettle and I love it. I don't know why I waited so long!
Which one did you get (pic?)? We have two - a big heavy ceramic one from ALDI (which I love), and a glass one from Walmart (which puts me off, because it has a blue light inside it that illuminates when it’s on…weird) - we save that one for traveling.

Oooh I used to buy a coffee down in New Orleans (Cafe DuMond)
If you’re really missing it, you can probably find it up there at Meijer - they (and several other places) carry it down here.

Send it back!
It takes a lot for me to send something back (which probably also explains why I don’t like ordering things - I need to be damn well certain I want what I’m ordering).

I’d have to get something to put it in (the original packaging is long gone), go out to Amazon and do whatever it is they make you do to get a label printed out (and argue with MrsT about it, because the only printer we have is her work printer, and she’ll complain I’m using her business printer for personal use), then box it up (“now where’s that packing tape?”), then take it in to drop off. It just becomes a whole “thing” that I have neither the patience or effort to deal with.

I’m just going use it until the filters are gone, which by my math is…about three years. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I actually just used it for an afternoon cup of coffee for MrsT - it does make an excellent cup of coffee, and cleanup is a dream (it’s cleaned up and set aside before I even bring the coffee in, which the French presses from this morning are still waiting to be cleaned, because they’re such a PITA), though I still feel is just too fussy and is slightly dangerous.

I could see someone using one of these while traveling, because it seems virtually indestructible and when it fits together, it’s about halfway between the size of an empty toilet paper roll and an empty kitchen paper towel roll.

Which one did you get (pic?)? We have two - a big heavy ceramic one from ALDI (which I love), and a glass one from Walmart (which puts me off, because it has a blue light inside it that illuminates when it’s on…weird) - we save that one for traveling.

If you’re really missing it, you can probably find it up there at Meijer - they (and several other places) carry it down here.

It takes a lot for me to send something back (which probably also explains why I don’t like ordering things - I need to be damn well certain I want what I’m ordering).

I’d have to get something to put it in (the original packaging is long gone), go out to Amazon and do whatever it is they make you do to get a label printed out (and argue with MrsT about it, because the only printer we have is her work printer, and she’ll complain I’m using her business printer for personal use), then box it up (“now where’s that packing tape?”), then take it in to drop off. It just becomes a whole “thing” that I have neither the patience or effort to deal with.

I’m just going use it until the filters are gone, which by my math is…about three years. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I actually just used it for an afternoon cup of coffee for MrsT - it does make an excellent cup of coffee, and cleanup is a dream (it’s cleaned up and set aside before I even bring the coffee in, which the French presses from this morning are still waiting to be cleaned, because they’re such a PITA), though I still feel is just too fussy and is slightly dangerous.

I could see someone using one of these while traveling, because it seems virtually indestructible and when it fits together, it’s about halfway between the size of an empty toilet paper roll and an empty kitchen paper towel roll.
I tried to copy and paste the image from the Walmart site but it wouldn't let me. It's a cheapo Hamilton Beach stainless steel 1 liter that cost around $20, which is all I need because I only have one cup of tea each morning (then I have 1 cup of coffee after). Hubby isn't a tea drinker.

I don't really miss that coffee so much as to pay the price they want for it (just looked online and saw it). Back in the day I could drink a half pot of coffee by myself. Those days are gone.

Yeah, I do tend to save the box that something comes in for several months before discarding it.

I finally unpacked the Nutribullet I bought my husband for Christmas a few years ago because he never used it. I took it out of the box and washed all of the components and I am going to start making him smoothies. He used to juice a lot (some really weird concoctions) but I think that it's a waste of wonderful pulp and fiber (unless someone composts). Smoothies make more sense. Maybe I can find him some edible cactus (pulp) he can blend with spinach, apples, etc. to make a green smoothie. I would be more into the strawberry but I would probably want to add some rum to it...

They also do a travel version that packs together very nicely.
But after I got this which takes up no space, makes a great cup of coffee (same as a french press) and takes seconds to clean I haven't touched the aero press since!

IMG_2237.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom