What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

Tbh I’m not sure how you failed
According to their meager instructions, if the coffee drips through too quickly on its own, then the grind is too coarse, so that may have been the problem.

Of course, going on the internet and troubleshooting, I’m getting all sorts of crazy reasons, like I need to buy a $300 grinder, and I need water freshly delivered from a Colorado mountain stream, heated to just under boiling by a reverse heatmosis sploshing flange, and brewing attempted only between 7:28:31AM-7:28:31.5AM. 🤷‍♂️

MrsT did like the lack of sludge, I’ll give it that.

Part of my contention is…while I understand some people looooove fiddling and experimenting and making this little change and that little tweak, in search of the best whatever-it-is, I do not. I very decidedly do not.

I want to take a thing out of its box, read the instructions (which I’m quite retentive about doing), follow said instructions, and have it work as advertised. That’s all I ask.

Especially with making a morning cup of coffee. I’m really not in the mood, less than 10 minutes after waking up, of thinking, “Let’s see…yesterday I ground the coffee beans for 12 seconds, and the coffee water dripped through at a rate of one inch per 5 seconds, so let me try grinding for 15 seconds and…where’s my stopwatch?…ok, now I’ve got one inch drippage every 7 seconds. Better…better…oh, this is exciting!”

Not!

According to their meager instructions, if the coffee drips through too quickly on its own, then the grind is too coarse, so that may have been the problem.

Of course, going on the internet and troubleshooting, I’m getting all sorts of crazy reasons, like I need to buy a $300 grinder, and I need water freshly delivered from a Colorado mountain stream, heated to just under boiling by a reverse heatmosis sploshing flange, and brewing attempted only between 7:28:31AM-7:28:31.5AM. 🤷‍♂️

MrsT did like the lack of sludge, I’ll give it that.

Part of my contention is…while I understand some people looooove fiddling and experimenting and making this little change and that little tweak, in search of the best whatever-it-is, I do not. I very decidedly do not.

I want to take a thing out of its box, read the instructions (which I’m quite retentive about doing), follow said instructions, and have it work as advertised. That’s all I ask.

Especially with making a morning cup of coffee. I’m really not in the mood, less than 10 minutes after waking up, of thinking, “Let’s see…yesterday I ground the coffee beans for 12 seconds, and the coffee water dripped through at a rate of one inch per 5 seconds, so let me try grinding for 15 seconds and…where’s my stopwatch?…ok, now I’ve got one inch drippage every 7 seconds. Better…better…oh, this is exciting!”

Not!
I agree 100%
I was moaning about exactly the same thing yesterday!
I bought some 'Noffee' which is roasted chicory that is ground like coffee.
The instructions said "try 4-6grams and adjust brew time according to taste"

Ooh that annoyed me, no mention of how much water or what brew time. Like I want to spent days experimenting with postage scales and minute amounts of grinds and a stop watch!
Tbh if it hadn't of turned out perfectly the first time I made it (which it did) it would have been soon into the food waste!

So yer I feel your pain but I also can't understand how it didn't work.

Is your coffee the bog standard pre-ground stuff? That work just fine.

Maybe a youtube tutorial is in order?

Is your coffee the bog standard pre-ground stuff? That work just fine.

Maybe a youtube tutorial is in order?
No, I’m grinding it myself. I’ve learned that if I use pre ground coffee with the exalted Aeropress, coffee bean fairies will appear out of nowhere and rescind my right to drink coffee, as no self-respecting coffee drinking would ever use pre ground! Folgers?! You mean, No-lgers!

I’ve watched about 30 YT videos, and they’re so full of contradictions it’s ridiculous. And that’s another thing that chaps my ass - pulled out the written instructions included in the box, it says:

185F water
15g ground coffee
Filter in, attach to bottom, in with the coffee
Fill to line 4 (which isn’t a line at all, but a circle)
Stir, let sit 30 seconds, gently press

But…they also included a QR code to scan for instructions, for the print-challenged, I suppose. Those said:

175F water
15g ground coffee
Fill to line 1 (which isn’t a line at all, but a circle)
Stir, let sit 1 minute, gently press
Top off with hot water for a full cup

To my mind, that’s a completely different method - different temp, different line-that’s-a-circle, etc.

But wait…their official video is different than both of those, slightly! Arrrghhh!

See why I have one foot in the psychiatric hospital?!?! That’s why!!!

Besides the new friedge, which I mentioned, replacing the old dying one, I actually bought a beautiful wooden box, just today.
The idea is to flip it on the side and use it as a standing mini shelf. I might store the fruit bowl over it and some items I might tuck into the 'backwall'. The purpose is to free up some counter space. Once I figure it out, will show. Unless I forget.:D

I am already using a similar smaller wooden box, for vitamins and supplements tucked in, and the toaster over it. That is where it kind of grew from. Those small adjustments and improvements make me veryy happy.

I have switched shelves (this summer I think?), for cups and glasses and my cooking ingredients, so it is looking way tidier now, as the ingredients are in a closed cabinet now, and the glasses and cups on the open shelf.

I have also reduced the number of painting displayed (my own works), and added a new one on the top of the kitchen cabinet (as it does not stretch all the way to the ceiling). It just looks better now.

I suppose I'd have to tackle the dishwasher accessories (tabs etc) next...as they don't have a proper place yet. But possibly in a few months time.

No, I’m grinding it myself. I’ve learned that if I use pre ground coffee with the exalted Aeropress, coffee bean fairies will appear out of nowhere and rescind my right to drink coffee, as no self-respecting coffee drinking would ever use pre ground! Folgers?! You mean, No-lgers!

I’ve watched about 30 YT videos, and they’re so full of contradictions it’s ridiculous. And that’s another thing that chaps my ass - pulled out the written instructions included in the box, it says:

185F water
15g ground coffee

But…they also included a QR code to scan for instructions, for the print-challenged, I suppose. Those said:

175F water
15g ground coffee

To my mind, that’s a completely different method - different temp, different line-that’s-a-circle, etc.

But wait…their official video is different than both of those, slightly! Arrrghhh!

I was more referring (although not at all clearly) to the size of the grind in a bog standard packet, it might give you a clue as to what you're after.

The aeropress works well for tens of thousands of people so there must be a way for you too.. or not, maybe you could just send it to me, I'd like to try out the 'Noffee' in one 😂

185F water
15g ground coffee

175F water
15g ground coffee

I have a Cuisinart Grind-N-Brew coffee maker. I LOVE making coffee with fresh ground beans.

The aeropress works well for tens of thousands of people so there must be a way for you too
Here’s the thing: I’m stubborn. If they say 185F water…15g coffee…fill to 4…then by god, that’s how I’m going to get it to work! I don’t want a different “way” - I want it to work the way it says it should work!

Then, and only then, would I even consider changing things round. If it can’t work the way the people who made the damn thing say it should work (although they can’t seem to make their minds up about that themselves), then I will proclaim it not worth my time and it will be dead to me! Dead!

Here’s the thing: I’m stubborn. If they say 185F water…15g coffee…fill to 4…then by god, that’s how I’m going to get it to work! I don’t want a different “way” - I want it to work the way it says it should work!

Then, and only then, would I even consider changing things round. If it can’t work the way the people who made the damn thing say it should work (although they can’t seem to make their minds up about that themselves), then I will proclaim it not worth my time and it will be dead to me! Dead!
I see absolute precision on the coffee and laissez faire on the 1/4 teaspoons 😂

Start like this
IMG_20240317_065231_694.jpg

Put coffee, throw close to boiling water on it.
Cover with filter
Let stand for a minute or 2

Put your cup on top
IMG_20240317_070240_584.jpg

Turn it around and slowly push through

I want a big cup of coffee, so I make double strength and add hot water once in the cup

(That's probably method 5B or so :) )

Start like this
View attachment 111152
Put coffee, throw close to boiling water on it.
Cover with filter
Let stand for a minute or 2

Put your cup on top
View attachment 111153

Turn it around and slowly push through

I want a big cup of coffee, so I make double strength and add hot water once in the cup

(That's probably method 5B or so :) )
I watched a Starbucks video on that, exactly the same method, thanks.

Second attempt with the Aeropress today went markedly better - I used a much finer grind (probably too fine), and it did slow the drippy-drip, and I did achieve the highly-sought-after “pop-and-puck” at the end.

Perfection lies somewhere in the middle, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom