What are the best brands of American cheese?

If you take the time to look for them, there are many good cheeses, wines, beers and other foods/drinks in the US that are very good. You have to look for them, because the average supermarket may not have them. Although, good craft beers are found in supermarkets here.

The only cheese company in JAS_OH1s linked list is The Mozzarella Company in Texas. It is in Dallas. Mozzarella Company | Handmade Mozzarella Cheese

CD
It's the "take the time" part where it falls down for overlanders. They usually have time constraints that mean moving from one destination to another quickly and food is fuel found on the hoof.
I won't be pasting myself with a punishing schedule so it should better for me but you really don't know about a product until after you've bought and eaten it by which time (unless it completely inedible) you're kind of committed 😆

I'm not a huge fan of mozzarella or un-aged cheeses in general, I find them bland but theres a couple on there I'd really like to try.

I'm not a huge fan of mozzarella or un-aged cheeses in general, I find them bland but theres a couple on there I'd really like to try.
This is a good one:

Brick Cheeses Archives - Widmer's Cheese Cellars

Their brick cheese comes in mild, half-aged, and full-aged. The mild (the “authentic” cheese for Detroit-style pizza) is as mild as it gets, sort of a cross between a jack cheese and a mild cheddar, but their full-aged is about twice as funky as that stuff that’s under your toenail. :laugh:

This is a good one:

Brick Cheeses Archives - Widmer's Cheese Cellars

Their brick cheese comes in mild, half-aged, and full-aged. The mild (the “authentic” cheese for Detroit-style pizza) is as mild as it gets, sort of a cross between a jack cheese and a mild cheddar, but their full-aged is about twice as funky as that stuff that’s under your toenail. :laugh:
The link seems to come up as ‘403 Forbidden’
Even if I google search separately it’s still forbidden 🤷‍♀️

I’ve put it on the list anyway, hopefully it’s just a tech glitch!

I’m getting a good selection of cheeses now 😋

The link seems to come up as ‘403 Forbidden’
Even if I google search separately it’s still forbidden 🤷‍♀️

I’ve put it on the list anyway, hopefully it’s just a tech glitch!

I’m getting a good selection of cheeses now 😋

Brick cheese is a very regional thing. It is THE cheese for Detroit pizza, I believe. I've never had it. I don't think I can even get it down here.

CD

Ok, I stopped at a “typical” locally-owned grocery store, so I took pics of their cheese offerings:

IMG_4697.jpeg
IMG_4698.jpeg
IMG_4699.jpeg
IMG_4700.jpeg

As you can see, not much variety - lots of cheddar (and cheddar-like) cheese, some American cheese, Swiss (as in type, not country) cheese. About as “unusual” as it gets in a place like that is the Muenster or provolone.

That might be why your visiting friends may have lamented the state of US cheese - if shops like that were their primary exposure, it would seem to be slim pickings indeed.

Tomorrow, I’ll go the next step up the ladder.

Ok, I stopped at a “typical” locally-owned grocery store, so I took pics of their cheese offerings:

View attachment 101194View attachment 101195View attachment 101196View attachment 101197

As you can see, not much variety - lots of cheddar (and cheddar-like) cheese, some American cheese, Swiss (as in type, not country) cheese. About as “unusual” as it gets in a place like that is the Muenster or provolone.

That might be why your visiting friends may have lamented the state of US cheese - if shops like that were their primary exposure, it would seem to be slim pickings indeed.

It must be popular or it would lose the shelf space to other goods, but yes thats the sort of thing they talk about.
The other thing that gets mentioned in the inexpensive accommodation is canteen style food that gets served on paper plates. Is that a thing?
Do you really get those massive lumps of cheese for 6.99?
If I wandered in there I'd probably go for the horseradish cheddar in the hope of a strong flavour.
Is sharp cheddar strong cheddar?
Soz too many questions 😂

The other thing that gets mentioned in the inexpensive accommodation is canteen style food that gets served on paper plates. Is that a thing?
I must admit, you have me at a loss, unless you’re talking about the included “breakfast bar” that many hotel chains here include.

Do you really get those massive lumps of cheese for 6.99?
No, that’s the per pound price.

Is sharp cheddar strong cheddar?
Probably similar, yes, but it’s still not that strong. A good cheesehouse will have a well-aged “extra sharp” cheddar, and it’ll look and have the same texture as a wheel of Parmesan, kind of flaky and full of crystals, but you won’t get that in a limited-selection market.

I must admit, you have me at a loss, unless you’re talking about the included “breakfast bar” that many hotel chains here include.
Umm I think it could possibly be buffet food? You know where there are stainless steel containers of sadly degrading food sitting in a bain-marie? They stayed in a lot of cheap accommodation as is often the way with overlanders so who knows? 🤷‍♀️

No, that’s the per pound price.
Thought as much heyho!

"Extra sharp" duly noted 👍

Technically, the best American cheese was THIS; Government (surplus) cheese! It made the best mac & cheese & other things!!!! It was almost like Velveeta. :whistling:
Government Cheese..jpg

Technically, the best American cheese was THIS; Government (surplus) cheese! It made the best mac & cheese & other things!!!! It was almost like Velveeta. :whistling:
View attachment 101225
That’s bringing back some memories - seems like there was a period of about five years back in the 1980’s when “government cheese” was everywhere.

I can remember a friend of the family bringing us out a few boxes of it, every month or so, and Mom and Dad would both say, “Now that’s the bes’ cheeeese they is, yessir!”

Weird thing is, I don’t really know what she made with it. Probably macaroni-and-cheese, which I never ate much of.

Umm I think it could possibly be buffet food? You know where there are stainless steel containers of sadly degrading food sitting in a bain-marie? They stayed in a lot of cheap accommodation as is often the way with overlanders so who knows? 🤷‍♀️

Most low to mid-range hotels will offer "free" breakfast, which is usually pretty sad. Only good for getting food in your belly before business meetings and such.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 5.56.35 PM.jpg

CD

Kroger and H-E-B have "cheese shops," in addition to the national brand cheeses in the dairy section. That's where you get the good stuff.

Here is an H-E-B cheese and charcuiterie shop. This photo only shows half. There is another half behind this one -- it's a U-shaped counter.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 5.47.44 PM.jpg

CD

Back
Top Bottom