What are the best brands of American cheese?

Ok, get ready for some cheese:

IMG_4743.jpeg
IMG_4744.jpeg
IMG_4745.jpeg
IMG_4746.jpeg
IMG_4747.jpeg
IMG_4748.jpeg

Those above pics of cheese are all from a Kroger Marketplace. Those have a separate “cheese shop” inside (Murray’s), plus they have a larger deli selection, and then more premium brands, like Boar’s Head, which CD mentioned earlier as a favorite of his.

They also carry the standard Kraft stuff, but you’ve seen that twice already, so no point in posting that again.

SandwichShortOfAPicnic - is that a better selection for you?

Exactly as I remember Kroger's. An extremely good cheese display.
On your first picture, I tried the Dansk, Stilton, Cambazola, Maytag, Bay blue,Caveman blue, Bayley Hazen, St Agur, Roquefort and Original blue. the Caveman blue was distinctly underwhelming and the Original blue was tasteless. The Bayley Hazen was really, really good.

Exactly as I remember Kroger's. An extremely good cheese display.
On your first picture, I tried the Dansk, Stilton, Cambazola, Maytag, Bay blue,Caveman blue, Bayley Hazen, St Agur, Roquefort and Original blue. the Caveman blue was distinctly underwhelming and the Original blue was tasteless. The Bayley Hazen was really, really good.
Goodness, that's a show stopper. I mean the show (plumbing) might have been a bit clogged after all that cheese!

I mean the show (plumbing) might have been a bit clogged after all that cheese!
I didn't eat them all at once!! Over a period of 3 months. I'd try one, actually note down flavour, colour, reaction, etc., then when that was finished, I'd try another.
One that wasn't there: Trader Joe's Blue Cheese. Really bad. Tasteless, far too crumbly. Ended up using it grilled.

Well I’m planning (in the future) on doing a coast to coast ride in America, maybe a bit of what’s left of route 66 so I need the names of these good American cheeses because a friend went a just before Covid and said the thing he struggled with most was the cheese!

He said that the good cheese is treated like an artisan product and has that price tag attached to it and the reasonably priced supermarket cheese is diabolical.

So lay it on me. What cheese names should I look for in a supermarket?

This is going in my Ride Merica file!
I was just watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, an American show that focuses on great food destinations all over the US. You could probably go online to foodnetwork.com and research featured restaurants (some of which have niche retail foods within) from the show that are situated along your path for the trip. I'd love to eat my way across America!
https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/episodes/route-66

Season 2 episode 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom