What are the best brands of American cheese?

Weird thing is, I don’t really know what she made with it. Probably macaroni-and-cheese, which I never ate much of.

Tasty Reuban, in OUR house, mac & cheese did not stick around too long! Everyone in the household just LOVED it. Our mom would usually try to make enough of it to go into the next day (Monday). She would make a big roasting pan of it!!! It didn't see that day. We'd go back for 2nds & 3rds! Mom would say; What happened to the mac & cheese?!! We would say; But mom, it was so good that we just couldn't seem to get enough of it. That's why there's never any left the next day!! Then she would say; Well, guess that I DO make the best mac & cheese in town!!! Hah!!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Most low to mid-range hotels will offer "free" breakfast, which is usually pretty sad. Only good for getting food in your belly before business meetings and such.

View attachment 101227

CD
I mainly stay at those hotels just for that. You don't have to go out & buy breakfast if you don't want to!!! Hah!!! It's available mainly at the ones run by the Hilton franchise, such as Homeward Suites & Embassy Suites. Embassy has live cooks there in the kitchen who will cook your eggs to order (I always get a Western omelet). Everything else is in pans kept hot by electricity or canned heat (sterno). :whistling:

Last edited:
I mainly stay at those hotels just for that. You don't have to go out & buy breakfast if you don't want to!!! Hah!!! It's available mainly at the ones run by the Hilton franchise, such as Homeward Suites & Embassy Suites. :whistling:
I typically don't eat much at breakfast but a bagel with cream cheese and some fruit and yogurt is nice so I don't have to go elsewhere and spend money.

I typically don't eat much at breakfast but a bagel with cream cheese and some fruit and yogurt is nice so I don't have to go elsewhere and spend money.
I mainly eat a heavy breakfast only once in a great while because of the possibility of weight gain. As of late, I just have strawberry-flavored yogurt for breakfast. :whistling:

I mainly stay at those hotels just for that. You don't have to go out & buy breakfast if you don't want to!!! Hah!!! It's available mainly at the ones run by the Hilton franchise, such as Homeward Suites & Embassy Suites. Embassy has live cooks there in the kitchen who will cook your eggs to order (I always get a Western omelet). Everything else is in pans kept hot by electricity or canned heat (sterno). :whistling:

Embassy Suites is different. The one here in Frisco has fresh cooked breakfast and a bar with a daily Happy Hour.

CD

Happy Hour isn't so happy. The one in Washington gives it to you for free, all you want, but the one near Orlando, there was a woman there who shut us off after only the 2nd glass of draft beer!!! Claiming that we couldn't get any more after the 2nd one!! I was like; What kind of crap is this?!!! We were not drunk, not even close!! Yet she had the nerve, the desecrated gall & the audacity to say that to us!!!! We went to the manager & complained about that!! I didn't find out what the outcome was, but be that as it may, we never went back there again!! :ninja: I DID however, like the restaurant there. It was a steakhouse run by Omaha. :whistling:

Last edited:
Happy Hour isn't so happy. The one in Washington gives it to you for free, all you want, but the one near Orlando, there was a woman there who shut us off after only the 2nd glass of draft beer!!! Claiming that we couldn't get any more after the 2nd one!! I was like; What kind of crap it this?!!! We were not drunk, not even close!! Yet she had the nerve, the desecrated gall & the audacity to say that to us!!!! We went to the manager & complained about that!! I didn't find out what the outcome was, be we never went back there again!! :ninja: I DID however, like the restaurant there. It was a steakhouse run by Omaha. :whistling:

The one in Frisco is attached to the Frisco convention center, so they do a lot of convention business. My parents used to like staying there when they came to visit (my guest bedroom was not up to my mom's standards :laugh: ).

CD

Cheezin’ in America, Pt 2…ALDI:

IMG_4715.jpeg
IMG_4716.jpeg
IMG_4717.jpeg

This is the section of ALDI that roughly corresponds to the Kraft/Sargento area of other US markets - note it’s a lot of the same things - lots of cheddar-ish things, mozzarella, pepper jack, and Swiss, with a couple of oddities thrown in, like those cheese wraps.

More to follow… IMG_4718.jpeg

More ALDI:

IMG_4719.jpeg
IMG_4720.jpeg
IMG_4721.jpeg
IMG_4722.jpeg
IMG_4723.jpeg
IMG_4724.jpeg

This is the other cheese wall at ALDI. There are more interesting things there, like cheeses mixed with fruit, or alcohol, but still not too much out of the ordinary. We buy a lot of our everyday cheese from this selection.

Here we have cheddar and Colby but we also get swiss for burgers. And if in akaroa we buy from Barry's bay cheese. Masdaam havarti and aged cheddar. That's my fave.

Russ
I love Havarti cheese. The Amish around here do a really nice job with it. I like aged cheddar too, particularly the white sharp from Vermont.
More ALDI:

View attachment 101253View attachment 101254View attachment 101255View attachment 101256View attachment 101257View attachment 101258

This is the other cheese wall at ALDI. There are more interesting things there, like cheeses mixed with fruit, or alcohol, but still not too much out of the ordinary. We buy a lot of our everyday cheese from this selection.
Yeah, that $1.99 four-ounce goat cheese log is hard to beat. The eight-ounce feta cheese block for $2.89 is a good deal as well. Both of those (among several others) are regular buys for us.

Cheezin’ in America, Pt 2…ALDI:

View attachment 101249View attachment 101250View attachment 101251

This is the section of ALDI that roughly corresponds to the Kraft/Sargento area of other US markets - note it’s a lot of the same things - lots of cheddar-ish things, mozzarella, pepper jack, and Swiss, with a couple of oddities thrown in, like those cheese wraps.

More to follow… View attachment 101252

That's not helping dispel the reputation of no good cheese in America. :laugh:

CD

Last edited:
Local. Every region has superb producers who are difficult to source elsewhere.

Some great producers that do have good distribution: Cowgirl Creamery, Cypress Grove, Maytag Blue, Jasper Hill, Uplands, Cuba (the last is about an hour from here and has superb aged cheddar- I always have the 5 and 15 year on hand).

Groceries like HEB in Texas and Fry's in Arizona have great cheese sections- look for any store featuring Murray's.

Back
Top Bottom