What are you baking today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange and raisin cake
20230715_055952.jpg

20230715_060050.jpg

It's made with a fresh cheese called Kwark, which means the moistness of the cake is correct.

I got up early to do bulk of baking today since it's so flipping hot. A flan is cooling on the counter so it can go in the refrigerator. Had some milk that was just barely getting ready to go off so used that up in the flan.

I wanted to get the lasagna that just now got put into bake done earlier, but the ground round and sausage that I put in the refrigerator to defrost last night didn't so took it out for not quite an hour.

Well, a surfeit of plums is something new to me, so I did a search. All I got were British web sites, and they all seemed to assume everyone knows what a surfeit of plums is, because I never got an answer. Seems I forgot that TastyR is British :facepalm:, but I know karadekoolaid is British, so I guess I'll just have to ask.

What is a surfeit of plums?

CD

I've been under the pump this morning but quite proud of my self. The wife knows it so she has assisted getting bowls etc, setting up bain maree.
I'm cooking for 6 tonight and 10 tomorrow so in 4 1/2 hrs I've made and cooked a Regan Josh, made 6 brulees, made a salad, prepped butter chicken for tomorrow. Prefried 20 pieces of blue cod in beer batter. Prepped entree of oysters in the shell.

Watching races for a few hrs before the onslaught lol. I love pushing myself.

Russ

An abundance…the opposite of a dearth, I suppose. Does anyone say “dearth” any more? Beats me!

Ah, I was thinking it was some kind of preparation of plums, not an indication of quantity. If I had just looked up the word "Surfeit" I would have gotten an answer. I learn something new every day. These days, I forget something old every day, so I need to replenish my knowledge. :facepalm:

Last edited:
What is a surfeit of plums?
Far too many, as TastyReuben pointed out. It's an old French/Middle English word.
Many moons ago, there was a book called "1066 And All That" - a tongue-in-cheek history of the UK.
Richard I apparently died from a "surfeit of Saladins" and "Cromwell died of a surfeit of Pride, Purges, Warts, and other Baubles."

I often say dearth and surfeit. I think we are a bit quaint in the UK. But those words are more evocative than saying 'not enough' or 'too many'.
Both my parents use antiquated language. Coming from isolated hollers, I’ve always assumed it was due to a lack of exposure to the “outside world,” but I don’t know.

Both my parents refer to suspenders, for example as galluses or braces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom