What Are You Reading?

50 Things About Us. A critique of the bigotry, superiority and entitlement that pervades the British, or more accurately the English. Very funny and very enlightening. I've almost read the whole thing in one day.

81JJopB37ZL.jpg

Here is a little flavour of the author, Mark Thomas. A man I can listen too all day.

View: https://youtu.be/qEqFaZTKsBE

I have started Richard Osman, the bullet that missed, well worth a read.
I read that one already, but didn't find it as catching as the first one in the series ("The Thursday Murder Club").

Just started reading this (a Christmas gift):

8E15D4E9-3C23-4687-96ED-7906E6C372D5.jpeg

Very enjoyable so far - for me, the thing that sets Pepin’s cooking shows apart from all the others is his masterly storytelling, and this book draws on 87 years of marvelous anecdotes.

I’ve already garnered a couple of quotes to remember:

One he passes along from Claude Lévi-Strauss - “The process of cooking is the process by which nature is transformed into culture.”

The other is all his: “Cooking should be fun and relaxing, and to aid in this process, please cook with a glass of wine.”

Finished this one which was really good
91jhchsv1FL.jpg

And started this one
71kME4keR8L.jpg

Here are some of the latest books I've read:
58451313.png

Loved this book. I'm becoming a huge Janice Hallett fan.

flowers-for-algernon.jpg

A brilliant, beautiful book that made me cry so much. The story is really heavy emotionally but so beautiful and clever at the same time.

the_lottery.jpg

I've only read "The Lottery" which is available online in PDF or on The New Yorker website. Nice story, and made me want to read more books by this author.

1507-1.jpg

I'm now reading this book because after "Flowers for Algernon" I needed something light, so far so good.

Here are some of the latest books I've read:
View attachment 98376
Loved this book. I'm becoming a huge Janice Hallett fan.

View attachment 98377
A brilliant, beautiful book that made me cry so much. The story is really heavy emotionally but so beautiful and clever at the same time.

View attachment 98378
I've only read "The Lottery" which is available online in PDF or on The New Yorker website. Nice story, and made me want to read more books by this author.

View attachment 98379
I'm now reading this book because after "Flowers for Algernon" I needed something light, so far so good.
I’m familiar with all those. Excellent choices.

Currently re-reading (well listening to audio book this time) What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson. The book involves life, love, death and the afterlife. I had thought to recommend it to a friend who recently lost her mum, but after revisiting the first 9 chapters or so, I think I will not suggest it to my friend yet. The themes of sadness and loss might be triggering for her.

This book was also made into a movie, starring Robin Williams.
Ironically, Robin Williams' character in the book redeems the soul of his wife who commits suicide, but in real-life it was Robin himself who committed suicide. Very sad.

I just finished a book by one of barry Crump wives. Crump was a talented writer from the bush and very famous in nz.
He was also a pr#%% who beat his wives. Her story made me weep.
Talented but a pr#$%.
Great read. I sent her cash and she sent me the book. With her e mail..we have conversed.

Russ

I recently read I’m Glad my Mom Died by Jenette McCurdy. It’s a memoir detailing growing up as a child actor, all driven by her mother.

I found it really gripping and well-written, but emotionally heavy at a lot of parts.

Back
Top Bottom