What Are You Reading?

Finished "Broken Homes" which was really good. I'm generally not into fantasy books but this series is an exception, it was written by the writer of Dr Who and tells the story of magic practitioners in London fighting the 'Faceless Man', a dark magician who uses magic for evil experiments.

I also started and finished this book over the weekend, a real page turner although a bit different from what I expected. Now I need to decide what I'm going to read next.
1665995296654.png

I always keep either a Harry Potter book or a Twilight series book by my bed for when it's time to unwind. I'm reading "Shelter in Place" by Nora Roberts during the day right now. Saturday I'm ordering "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner as my insulin is changing soon.
I found another Harry Potter and twilight fan😁😁

I am rereading Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix . Once I am done reading the last three books I will be reading my photography books or twilight

I found another Harry Potter and twilight fan😁😁

I am rereading Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix . Once I am done reading the last three books I will be reading my photography books or twilight
I loved both those series too! Although I must confess I didn't read the last book in The Twilight series (Eclipse)...I read the first three books on a row and by the time I finished I felt like I needed a break from the series lol.

I loved both those series too! Although I must confess I didn't read the last book in The Twilight series (Eclipse)...I read the first three books on a row and by the time I finished I felt like I needed a break from the series lol.
I get that way with twilight mostly after the second book. I read Harry way more than twilight. I’m actually watching Harry Potter at the moment

We watched The Moonstone on TV not long ago.
I think I haven't read that one yet. This book is being interesting but not too easy to read, some situations are very time-specific. Right now one of the characters is all worked up with another character because this woman wrote a letter recommending her courier to another woman's husband:scratchhead:Wilkie Collins would struggle in this world where you chat with strangers on online forums and receive Facebook requests from people you've never seen.

I think I haven't read that one yet. This book is being interesting but not too easy to read, some situations are very time-specific. Right now one of the characters is all worked up with another character because this woman wrote a letter recommending her courier to another woman's husband:scratchhead:Wilkie Collins would struggle in this world where you chat with strangers on online forums and receive Facebook requests from people you've never seen.
That’s one of the things I love about reading stories written in a different time, or even watching movies from a different time - I like experiencing that change in culture and values.

That’s one of the things I love about reading stories written in a different time, or even watching movies from a different time - I like experiencing that change in culture and values.
Absolutely!! It's an interesting look into the past, and a great reminder of how lucky we are to live in today's world and time.

They do make the reading a bit more challenging though. One example that I remember quite well was when I was reading "Mansfield Park", there's an entire chapter where the characters were talking the renovation of a house and its gardens. I couldn't understand why they spent an entire chapter going on about replanting trees, and tearing down walls, and replacing flowers, etc, especially since it wasn't adding anything to the story. A quick Google search explained it: in Regency times, landscape architecture was a big thing, with plenty of landscape architects getting rich by convincing affluent people to tear down their perfectly functioning and beautiful gardens, telling them their estate had "capability for improvement". Jane Austen, being the social critic that she is, dedicated an entire chapter of the book to criticize this practice.

So it was a really interesting look into the works of the society of that time, but I must confess I felt really puzzled reading that chapter the first time :laugh:

Finished this book, and what a book! I was absolutely hooked from beginning to end and reading non stop. Already ordered the author's other book too, bought it second hand from an online store.
1669625935993.png

Also started this book yesterday.
1669626010823.png

Just finished this book, and what a book! And absolutely chilling, appalling and sad account of the early years of the AIDS epidemic, the people who died, the government's inaction and the early science behind this disease. A very eye opening but also heartbreaking book! It was also made into a movie if anyone prefers to watch it instead of reading the book.
500x.jpg

Finished this book, and what a book! I was absolutely hooked from beginning to end and reading non stop. Already ordered the author's other book too, bought it second hand from an online store.
View attachment 93038

Also started this book yesterday.
View attachment 93039

I have started Richard Osman, the bullet that missed, well worth a read.

Back
Top Bottom