What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

We've both had colds so I've been making soups and curry. Last night was really scraping the bottom of the cupboards. We had spicy fishcakes made from potato,cauliflower and a can of tuna and garlic/chilli, broccoli (a little wilted) pakoras and some leftover chickpea curry. I also made a vegan yoghurt chutney that I must post.

Today we got fresh food!

https://www.cookingbites.com/posts/127895/

Cornbread au chocolat orange

Chocolate cornbread cut 1.JPG

There's a restaurant in NOLA called Johnny Sanchez, which is a collaboration between Aaron Sanchez and John Besh. One of their signature items is a meatball taco. The meatballs have roasted poblano peppers, onion and garlic puree plus cotija cheese, as well as some other things. I came up with a copycat version. We had that with an avocado salad tonight.

View attachment 18757

That looks great.

Today I have made

Chicken and vegetable broth with spices for sick husband. Chicken saag, chickpea and broccoli curry (strange combination but was upping the veg), fennel rice. And (shop bought ready cooked) popadoms :)

A lightened-up version of chicken cordon bleu with steamed asparagus and lemon juice on the side.
Instead of stuffing, rolling, breading and frying the chicken, it's served open-faced with prosciutto, Dijon mustard and mozzarella cheese. Adapted from Kevin is Cooking.

Last edited:
1BB36C12-8124-4867-B001-DA40ECD91D72.jpeg

Barbecue at the Perini household today. I made the burgers with a mix of sirloin, chuck, and ground beef. I also cut and fried my own french fries. My in-laws brought amazingly sweet corn. As I’ve said before, I would be happy to have a barbecue every weekend during the summer. And maybe into the fall...

Very simple. Just sauté/sizzle fennel seeds in oil for a minute then add cooked rice and stir through. The rice really picks up the flavour

Thank you! Tonight, I tried adding fennel seeds to basmati whilst it cooked (before I read your reply). That worked pretty well too.

Back
Top Bottom