What did you cook, eat or drink today (December 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0936a.jpg

Inspired by @MypinchofItaly and @The Late Night Gourmet, last night's supper was a seafood risotto. Every ingredient came either from the store cupboard, freezer or garden. Apart from the white wine which we were out of :eek:.

IMG_0939a.jpg

Lunch today was a veg box, made by a very talented young man in our local indoor market. He has a real talent for flavour profiles and makes everything from scratch using ingredients he either grows, or buys from other stallholders. He usually combines flavours from the Far East (soy, sesame, ginger etc.) with flavours from the Middle East (hummus, za'atar, sumac etc.) and makes the most wonderful dressings. All for £3 for the box! It's fair to say I felt a little smug, walking back past queues of lemmings outside Greggs and Subway, waiting to pay out far more for their factory made fodder.

I share your pain! I have got into the habit of cooking most Sunday roasts sous vide. It is so much easier and the results are far more predictable than using the oven. On the odd occasion I do oven roast a joint I make extra gravy with the juices, then vac pack and freeze what's left over. The bag of gravy then gets dumped into the hot water bath to re-heat when the meat comes out for searing and resting.

I would be interested in the time/temp you use for the round - not a joint I have cooked before. I have a single rib joint for tomorrow that will be going in for 7 hours @ 135 deg F (57 deg C).
I have changed my
Mind and will be cooking it tomorrow morning for about 11-12 hours. I am new to this so I will keep you posted as to how it turns out. I’ve read that leaving it too long produces a mushy texture and I don’t want that. So, I am hoping to find a time period that will help tenderize, hold moisture and still retain a pleasant texture. We’ll see how she goes.

I have changed my
Mind and will be cooking it tomorrow morning for about 11-12 hours. I am new to this so I will keep you posted as to how it turns out. I’ve read that leaving it too long produces a mushy texture and I don’t want that. So, I am hoping to find a time period that will help tenderize, hold moisture and still retain a pleasant texture. We’ll see how she goes.
Good luck, looking forward to seeing what happens!

Dinner in the new kitchen! Beef in the pressure cooker, puff pastry, roast potatoes, parsnips and carrots. Steamed brocolli and peas and charred leek! Yummy!

View attachment 21115

That looks great - I love the charred leeks.

Bravo for the pressure cooking of beef - I've never got on with pressure cooking. I just took some beef skirt out of the freezer (didn't even know it was there - I'm trying to declutter the freezer) and I know that could work pressure cooked. Not sure what to do with it yet.

Dinner plate sized potato rosti using spiralized starchy potatoes, salted, drained in a colander, then patted dry between paper towels, cooked 8 minutes on each side in a skillet in peanut oil, then cooked in a 400 F oven on a rack for 12 minutes. Toppings were creme fraiche, deli mustard, pastrami, thinly sliced deli dill pickles, dill fronds and green onions. Craig had a couple of fried eggs on his slices.

The spiralizing, salting and drying, as well as the cooking technique made for a VERY crispy potato cake, but I will NEVER cook this in a stainless pan again, nonstick all the way.

2018-12-08 18.24.35.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom