What did you cook, eat or drink today (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pud today, greek style yogurt, raspberries and raw thyme honey. Forget the banana, this will all be my breakfast tomorrow, I don't have the time to take pics in the morning

20190224_182757(1).jpg

Did a flank steak Palomilla style. Marinated in mojo Criollo, onions and extra garlic. Sear the steak and add the reserved marinade and cook until finished. Karen made salted purple potatoes and a relish for a side.

I'm done trying to make salt crusted onions. I used a slightly different method from a reliable source, cut the salt nearly in half, and they were still so salty I could barely eat them. I just don't get how some rave about them.

I did like the relish that went with them. It was a Colombian aji and I used 1 of my hot peppers I'm growing, though probably could have used another. I don't think they are quite ready to use yet.

I'm done trying to make salt crusted onions. I used a slightly different method from a reliable source, cut the salt nearly in half, and they were still so salty I could barely eat them. I just don't get how some rave about them.

Never heard of them - did you mention them before? Quick google and couldn't find recipes apart from a site inaccessible in UK so still don't know what they are.

Last edited:
IMG_1101a.jpg

Lunch yesterday - leg of lamb, boned, rolled and cooked sous vide for 7 hours @ 56.5 deg C. Carrots, parsnips and beetroot also cooked sous vide then griddled. Samphire sauteed in butter, and leeks topped with goats cheese. Meat juices added to red wine and reduced to a thick sauce. For supper my wife made a lovely Stilton and celery soup:
IMG_1102a.jpg

View attachment 22662
Lunch yesterday - leg of lamb, boned, rolled and cooked sous vide for 7 hours @ 56.5 deg C. Carrots, parsnips and beetroot also cooked sous vide then griddled. Samphire sauteed in butter, and leeks topped with goats cheese. Meat juices added to red wine and reduced to a thick sauce. For supper my wife made a lovely Stilton and celery soup:
View attachment 22663

Lovely - how long and what temperature did you cook carrots and parsnips?

Man you guys eat well. Me..... Just 2 crumpets with Vegemite and a cup of earl grey tea.

Russ
I really have meant to get a jar of Vegemite some day, but I keep being put off by horror tales. On the other hand, it's a bit like miso paste, isn't it? If so, then I think Vegemite and I can be friends.

I really have meant to get a jar of Vegemite some day, but I keep being put off by horror tales. On the other hand, it's a bit like miso paste, isn't it? If so, then I think Vegemite and I can be friends.

Vegemite (AUS) & Marmite (UK) are almost the same. The mistake people make is to use to much. If you have it on bread or toast you just need a 'whisper', especially if its the first time you tasted it. Added to stews it is a bit like miso - its also very like beef stock and certainly adds umami flavour.

Never heard of them - did you mention them before? Quick google and couldn't find recipes apart from a site inaccessible in UK so still don't know what they are.

I meant potatoes, not sure why I typed onions. Probably because I was thinking Craig didn't mention cooking the onions some before the rest of the marinade got dumped in with them. I had just gotten up when I posted.

Vegemite (AUS) & Marmite (UK) are almost the same. The mistake people make is to use to much. If you have it on bread or toast you just need a 'whisper', especially if its the first time you tasted it. Added to stews it is a bit like miso - its also very like beef stock and certainly adds umami flavour.

My husband likes Marmite I do not :headshake:

I meant potatoes, not sure why I typed onions. Probably because I was thinking Craig didn't mention cooking the onions some before the rest of the marinade got dumped in with them. I had just gotten up when I posted.

No wonder I was lost.:laugh: So - salt crusted potatoes. Do you have a link to a recipe?

They are completely different IMHO. I hate marmite but love Vegemite. I will eat a half teaspoon just by itself. My grandkids were bought up with Vegemite in their mashed veges as wee tots. These are veges fine mouli mashed.
You are either Vegemite or marmite. After the earthquakes here 8 years ago the marmite factory was out of action. Small jars of marmite were going for huge amounts on trademe. Vegemite on crumpets is really nice. My wife prefers raspberry jam on crumpets with sliced banana on top as well. Lol, weird eh?

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom