What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No photographs, sorry I didn't take my phone, but we tried a new Turkish Mangal that has opened up nearby. Seriously good kebabs, we are going to have to limit ourselves to visiting no more than once a week.

Only a small place and you watch them bbq the meat so you know it is freshly cooked, the portions are just right, salad fresh :thumbsup::hungry:

tuna.jpg

Lunch: Tuna with sweet chilli salsa

When you say 'mini', what do you mean? Looks great!
Made using the last 5" of the thin end of a fillet. Couldn't be bothered to make a duxelle so used a fine chicken liver pate and wrapped in Palma ham and bought puff pastry sheet. First time I'd made one so small so was worried about over cooking it, but 25 mins at 180 deg and it turned out just fine!

Made using the last 5" of the thin end of a fillet. Couldn't be bothered to make a duxelle so used a fine chicken liver pate and wrapped in Palma ham and bought puff pastry sheet. First time I'd made one so small so was worried about over cooking it, but 25 mins at 180 deg and it turned out just fine!
Well it looks just fine! The boy did well... I think chicken liver pate might taste better than a duxelle in any case!

Dinner wound up being leftover steak from last night, the broccoli cauliflower from last night with Brussels Sprouts added, boiled turnips and a bit of dressing. The latter two were in the freezer from earlier so I just steamed them.

There is something about soft rolls. I know we should all be eating wholegrain etc. But when you say 'long, soft rolls' ...
Dairy - that's usually what makes the rolls soft. Anything that says soft in it, I have to check the ingredients with a fine tooth comb. It takes a long time sometimes, but 99% of the time, soft bread = dairy in it. :cry:

Just getting home. I've been having a heck of a time with the gas company..my meter is spinning like a top even when we have shut all of the gas off to the building. Spending more time on the phone threatening people and trying to make my red, tomato head explode. Had a certified gas technician in tonight after close and he didn't find any leaks.....the gas company said they will investigate and it will get back to me in ninety days. Ninety Days??? My gas bill was 3000 dollars higher than normal. Anyway, to make a long story longer, I'm heading out to the local for some pub grub and a few glasses of ale....thanks for letting me vent...
My mother had something similar. She resorted to photographing her meter on the day she reported it. It was her water meter not gas, but.... eventually after many months of issues and prolonged wranglings and arguments and legal threats (she refused to pay her bill until it was sorted out!) she finally managed to get an engineer on site after she and her neighbour pulled up the man hole cover outside her home and looked at the installation of the meters. Her meter had been installed on the wrong side of the Y split that supplied hers and her neighbours properties. (Her home was a new build on an old site, old sites were not metered water, new sites have to be). She had been paying hers and her neighbours bills, whilst her neighbour had been paying his bill. It was only when they threatened legal action if an engineer was not sent out to deal with the situation that they were listened to. Needless to say the engineer saw the problem immediately!

Mind you, I was issued with a court summons for not paying water rates (non-metered mains water) and sewage. We were tenants so had been forwarding all the letters from the water board (different one to my mother) on to our agent, but when he was taken seriously ill, we decided to open them to see if it was important or not and if we could deal with it. I rang the number on the letter, got through to one of their legal team who was very serious with me and told me I had to attend the court summons for non payment of water and sewage rates (totally several thousands of pounds). My response was simple and exact, to the point. If they wished to supply me mains water and mains sewage, then I would happily pay for it, but until they actually provided this service, I had not intention of paying for it and if they wished me to attend court (tomorrow am as it turned out) and say this to the judge, I would but it seemed a waste of mine and everyone else's time...
Needless to say the lawyer I spoke to was rather taken back and I was advised that I didn't need to attend and they wouldn't be taking the matter any further!
We lived nearly a mile from the nearest mains water line and sewage pipe that I knew of, as it turned out, it was even further than that...

Duck eggs, I think you're on your own then, I've no idea how to check the quality of duck eggs.
Exactly the same way, just being a bigger egg and a bigger chick inside when they are allowed to develop (if fertilised) they have much bigger air sacs in them, but the test for buoyancy is exactly the same. However from a cooking point of view the air sac will look much bigger...

As side dish turnip greens..I'm not sure this is the right translate for "cime di rapa"...
Winter greens I believe is what they are alternatively known as. We have something called spring greens in the UK, but they are not available anywhere else... I don't think they are the same but.
But then looking a touch further into it, it seems that they can be the same thing...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_greens

Spring Greens are a cultivar of Brassica oleracea in the cultivar Acephala Group, similar to kale, in which the central leaves do not form a head or form only a very loose one. It is considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most other domesticated forms, and is grown primarily in northern Europe, where its tolerance of cold winters is valued for an early spring supply of edible leaves. The Cultivar Group Acephala also includes curly kale and collard greens, which are extremely similar genetically.

The term is also used more loosely to refer to thinnings and trimmed-off leaves of other types of Brassica, including turnip and swede leaves, surplus thinned out young cabbage plants and leaves from cauliflower and brussels sprouts.

In all cases, the leaves, being loose, are fully exposed to light, and so are dark green, coarse, often tough, and more strongly flavoured than many people prefer, but are also particularly rich in vitamin C, folate and dietary fibre, making them a very healthy food.

Wild garlic soup - I thought, won't it look pretty garnished with garlic flowers - but they sank!!

View attachment 6771
Looks fabulous. I suspect you simply needed to pull the smaller individual flower heads off to get them to float.
I miss wild garlic.... It is so very nice but not allowed to be grown here because of its ability to spread.. just like blackberries (only certain cultivars are permitted and you have to get them from garden centres and they are just not the same as wild brambles...)

My evening meals have just been a copy of the last one I posted - a very delicious chickpea pistou which came to an end last night. I have to make something else tomorrow. tonight will be a bungit job and I have no idea as to what yet - I'll let you know when I know! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom