What did you cook/eat today (December 2019)?

Gumbo from the freezer, gumbo z'herbes for me, Craig had his alligator seafood gumbo.

I started a pan of moussaka tonight. Got everything done but the bechemel, which I'll make tomorrow, as well as zatziki. I'm allergic to something in the peel, makes me itch like he//. So I had to peel the eggplant after roasting and frying it, then wash hands like crazy.

Yes, I have to be extremely careful about how much peel I eat. Same thing when we used to carve pumpkins, I'd break out in a rash before I even got finished cleaning out the pumpkin. I usually get Craig to deal with eggplant, but he fell asleep after dinner, so...

I have a lot of antibiotic allergies as well. My doctor asked me once what we were going to do if I ever got really sick and needed antibiotics. Told her I guessed we'd put me in the hospital and pump me full of antiphylactics.

DD is same way about pumpkins. She refuses to even try eggplant so don't know about that. She has to be careful about the amount of dairy she consumes as well. She was complaining about tummy problems after turkey day and it was because of dairy she had been eating. As a baby, she had to be put on soy formula because of a severe reaction to cow's milk formula. That was back before breast feeding was in favor.

Last edited:
Is that time of the year where I can enjoy Radicchio ( Red Chicory) at its best.. I cooked the quality called Radicchio Tardivo, crunchy and quite tasty, and a bit more bitter than the common one with large leaves....

Tonight is Sinterklaas. A traditional Dutch feast, with specific candy. Here are a chocolate letter ( I did NOT request the blackface on it from my bakery.. sigh) and a spiced dough doll. I have been given a letter with the first letter of my name.
Sinterklaas - Wikipedia

P.S just to clarify, I am very much against blackface and am very happy more Dutch people are standing up against this bad part of the tradition. I believe it can be kept traditional without the use of old racist images..

Tonight is Sinterklaas. A traditional Dutch feast, with specific candy. Here are a chocolate letter ( I did NOT request the blackface on it from my bakery.. sigh) and a spiced dough doll. I have been given a letter with the first letter of my name.
Sinterklaas - Wikipedia
View attachment 35409

View attachment 35410

P.S just to clarify, I am very much against blackface and am very happy more Dutch people are standing up against this bad part of the tradition. I believe it can be kept traditional without the use of old racist images..

Fascinating - I'd never heard of this before. But of course Sinterklass is Santa Claus!

Back
Top Bottom