What did you cook/eat today (December 2019)?

Today’s mum birthday, all family out for lunch to celebrate her in a typical milanese trattoria.
Mixed photos about lunch: warm focaccia served with pork lard as starter, ossobuco with milanese risotto, milanese tripe (trippa alla milanese) with black beans and served with crostini, spaghetti with mussels ( not very milanese!) as primi piatti, lots of rose’ wine....then I don’t remember what happened after this..... :laugh:

Last edited:
Today’s mum birthday, all family out for lunch to celebrate her in a typical milanese trattoria.
Mixed photos about lunch: warm focaccia served with pork lard as starter, ossobuco with milanese risotto, milanese tripe (trippa alla milanese) with black beans and served with crostini, spaghetti with mussels ( not very milanese!) as primi piatti, wine rose’.... then I don’t remember what happened after this..... :laugh:View attachment 35488
View attachment 35489

View attachment 35490

View attachment 35491

View attachment 35492

View attachment 35493
Happy birthday to your mum!

Mixed photos about lunch: warm focaccia served with pork lard as starter, ossobuco with milanese risotto, milanese tripe (trippa alla milanese) with black beans and served with crostini, spaghetti with mussels ( not very milanese!) as primi piatti, wine rose’.... then I don’t remember what happened after this..... :laugh:View attachment 35488
View attachment 35489

View attachment 35490

View attachment 35491

View attachment 35492

View attachment 35493

Ahh bellisimo! La cena e fantastico . Congratulazioni per suo compleanno

(Sorry, am learning Italian for fun)

Stollen from our local German bakery. morning glory - you can see the marzipan running through it.

This is exceptional stollen. There are many, many stollen for sale here, probably all made two years ago, full of preservatives, and covered in fondant that's hard as a rock. Very dry, very bad.

This is soft, not overly sweet, and very elegant in its simple goodness. We worked the bakery's booth at one of our Christmas markets for a few years, and in addition to stollen, they would also offer marzipan pigs, lebkuchen, springerle cookies, almond crescents, pffernusse, and a whole host of other traditional German baked goods.

We always put out free samples of the goods, and our booth was one of the most popular ones. One year, a young man of about 18 or so, stopped by and looked us over: "Go on, have a sample...the stollen is especially good."

"No," he said, in very precise, German-accented English, "the stollen here, I'm sorry, is...not very good."

My wife offered it again, telling him this was locally made by German-trained bakers, so he selected a piece and ate it.

"Oh...oh...this is...this is...this is home! This is my home! This is like my grandmother made!"

Wiping tears from his eyes, he explained that he was here for school and this was his first Christmas away from home in Germany, and he was terribly homesick. He ended up buying a stollen and some other things, and we may have snuck in a couple of other things that we paid for ourselves.

That's why, earlier, I said that this is stollen that will make you cry. :) 😭

So the herbs are in the sausage meat?? Do you not make them? I make them and they are liked by everyone. I personally wouldn't buy store bought, just me.

Russ

Russ

We were in a shop, saw them and decided to give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom