What did you cook/eat today (December 2019)?

Yesterday's quick meal before my shift. Chefs and cooks really don't eat fancy most of the time, that's what our customers do. That's why I rarely post fancy or well presented food. This is just what I eat at home.

Hashbrowns with fried eggs and bbq sauce.

I am just about done cooking a big-ole' pot-o-gumbo. I will eat some tomorrow. I like gumbo the next day better -- the flavors have a chance to really become friends.

I'll take some to the two guys that have helped me get this six-day photoshoot done. There are two other guys who were "there," but were useless. No gumbo for them. They will have to buy their own lunch when they take their two-hour lunch break. I'm not paying them, or I would have fired them half way through the first day.

CD

Breadcrumbed chicken tenders, roast potatoes, parsnip, pumpkin and carrots. Cauli broccoli cheese bake. Daughter wanted veges. I obliged. Was a really yummy meal, the tenders just melted in the mouth.

Russ

We bought some red potatoes at the weekend. They're called "Rocco". I cannot remember ever seeing red potatoes around these parts. I baked them and one thing that pleased me was that the skin was far thicker than the white potatoes which are normally available. Unfortunately I could not give a taste impression as my manflu is still buggering up my taste buds.

We bought some red potatoes at the weekend. They're called "Rocco". I cannot remember ever seeing red potatoes around these parts. I baked them and one thing that pleased me was that the skin was far thicker than the white potatoes which are normally available. Unfortunately I could not give a taste impression as my manflu is still buggering up my taste buds.

It looks good - with a lovely fluffy interior. I recall you saying before you could only get one type of potato.

The plan was for homemade tamales. I did the red sauce and Cochinita Pibil on Saturday and Karen did the prep work for the green sauce as well. She didn't feel well so I made chicken thighs in a mushroom gravy served over packaged noodles. Sorry no pics.

That reminds me, the best laid plans and all that. Well they fell apart by the slip of a hand and an empty bowl that previously contained the sweet corn sauce slipped from my hand and fell into the bowl of soup sending everything everywhere. I thought I'd get away with just cleaning up and putting the soup into a new bowl but I discovered a chip in the original serving bowl that hadn't been there previously. I found some of the missing piece of pottery but not all of it, so that bowl of soup was discarded.

Hubby got my serving, I got a bowl of sauerkraut and sprouted beans and lentils instead. Such is life.

Tomorrow is another new cold soup day. Probably just as well given that it's 25°C at nearly midnight right now and the forecast is for 39°C tomorrow. I think it will probably 'only' be 37°C out so, but it's still to hot for me. I'll prepare the soup and pickle some eggs in the morning and then rest for the remainder of the day. Air quality is such that being outside at all is not currently recommended and I'm ok with my asthma if I do nothing, nebulise and don't try talking! Another quiet day then!

Last edited:
Sounds like we all had changed meal plans. I was looking forward to a Christmassy pizza with red sauce and pesto, but the wife wrinkled her nose at that, so it ended up being grilled cheese and boxed chicken-and-pasta soup mix. Oh well.

Change of plan here too.
I got back from Essex yesterday to find the fridge was bare. I was going to make potato and tomato curry but alas no potatoes (or tomatoes) and being Sunday, Aldi at the end of my road closed early.

I found some cod in a white sauce in the freezer so I microwaved that and had it with some oven chips.

Flu still? Man I hate that. Hope it's better soon.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom