What did you cook/eat today (February 2020)?

Apple fritters. Ok, I’ve given only a simple start to buttermilk by adding it in beaten eggs with grated lemon zest, then breaded apples rounds in Semolina’s flour and then fried in peanut oil...
I really enjoyed them, crunchy outside and soft (not soggy at all) inside..

Around here, you won't necessarily find Bibimbap at your local Korean BBQ shop. The place I go to only makes Bibimbap. Maybe it is the same around the world.

CD

The 2 Korean places we go to here both have bibimbap on their menus,but we nearly always get the beef bulgogi or galbi, along with all the banchan, and usually seafood pancakes as an appy. Talk about a lot of work, banchan, since you traditionally should have at least 5. I've made them a couple of times, but would rather get that meal out. The farthest one even has cook your own tables, and they always serve a huge amount of banchan.

Last edited:
I've just linked that site, good site, I'm trying the chicken bulgogi soon. Sound real nice, I'm not big on sesame, I find it too strong. But I'll give it a whirl.

Russ

Then don't use as much sesame oil. I happen to love it and usually drizzle more on dishes as a finishing oil. But, I find cinnamon too strong for me, so it usually gets halved or even less in first time recipes, and I very rarely order anything out that has cinnamon in it because I've learned that is usually all I'll be able to taste.

Tried ayam panggang tonight, which is a chicken dish and from what I understand is marinated in lime and chilli, then pan fried till brown, then cooked in a casserole with coconut, coconut milk, lemon grass, garlic, and paprika until the sauce is really thick and basically just coats the chicken. Tasted great. Am definitely going to research this further when I get home as is a new one on me.

P.s. Is great to have a laptop again.

Tried ayam panggang tonight, which is a chicken dish and from what I understand is marinated in lime and chilli, then pan fried till brown, then cooked in a casserole with coconut, coconut milk, lemon grass, garlic, and paprika until the sauce is really thick and basically just coats the chicken. Tasted great. Am definitely going to research this further when I get home as is a new one on me.

View attachment 37668

I think we are going to have to make this. I'm assuming the red stuff is the sambal that is apparently a must have with this, but what were the other 2 sides?

We make a similar dish of deep fried, parm crusted cauliflower and agliata sauce. The sauce is really good with the cauliflower. You should try it sometime. I don't think it has anything in it you can't eat.
I'd have to find an alternative for the '1 cup of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano'. I can't have cheese with it being dairy. But i have a possible substitute though I'm not sure how happy i am with it and I'm not certain on its ability to be deep fried, plus given it is the major flavoring here, I'd like something I'm happier with if that makes sense. (Shop bought vegan parmesan is hit and miss and costs $7.99 for less than ½ cup of finely chopped equivalent.)

I'd have to find an alternative for the '1 cup of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano'. I can't have cheese with it being dairy. But i have a possible substitute though I'm not sure how happy i am with it and I'm not certain on its ability to be deep fried, plus given it is the major flavoring here, I'd like something I'm happier with if that makes sense. (Shop bought vegan parmesan is hit and miss and costs $7.99 for less than ½ cup of finely chopped equivalent.)

I think maybe medtran49 was referring to the agliata sauce being vegan. Agliata sauce is often eaten with pasta,

The parm is not in the sauce.

View attachment 37668

Looks fantastic 😍

I think we are going to have to make this. I'm assuming the red stuff is the sambal that is apparently a must have with this, but what were the other 2 sides?

Good question. I couldn't quite work them out other then the one on the right definitely had shallots in it. The middle one was some sort of pickled veges but I couldn't identify what. Maybe something I'm not familiar with...a wild guess would be banana flower, but that really is just a wild stab.

Good question. I couldn't quite work them out other then the one on the right definitely had shallots in it. The middle one was some sort of pickled veges but I couldn't identify what. Maybe something I'm not familiar with...a wild guess would be banana flower, but that really is just a wild stab.

Well, with what I'm finding looking at recipes, pickled vegetable salads are pretty much always served with it as well, besides the rice and the sambal terasi or kecap. One of the recipes served with a lemongrass/coconut milk rice side, instead of just plain rice.

Back
Top Bottom