What did you cook/eat today (February 2020)?

I use cabbage on fish tacos. That's actually VERY common in Mexico, Cali and Texas for fish tacos.

A traditional Mercan Shrimp Cocktail (from the 1950s - 1960s) is what Tasty showed. I don't know why he keeps using the word "prawn," I think we have already established it is okay to use them interchangeably. Nobody is wrong, we just talk different.

I equally despise both eggplant and aubergine. :headshake:

CD

Cabbage, I would never use cabbage? No lettuce??

I didn't have any and lettuce goes off too quick.

[Edit: it was extremely crunchy - complemented the prawns very nicely (prawns pan fried in butter for 2 minutes)]

Last edited:
I use cabbage on fish tacos. That's actually VERY common in Mexico, Cali and Texas for fish tacos.

A traditional Mercan Shrimp Cocktail (from the 1950s - 1960s) is what Tasty showed. I don't know why he keeps using the word "prawn," I think we have already established it is okay to use them interchangeably. Nobody is wrong, we just talk different.

I equally despise both eggplant and aubergine. :headshake:

CD

We also call them prawn or shrimp, depending on the restaurant. I too despise those veges, although mg will tell me off,lol

Russ

First off, I put zero effort in to planning how I was going to photograph this plate of food before I started cooking, so I knew it was going to be basic brown. Ya' get's what ya' pay for.

I had some frozen sea scallops from COSTCO that I knew were good. A bit small for sea scallops, but really tender and sweet.

I thawed them and got them super dry, and sautéed them in a good non-stick with a mix of canola oil and butter -- about 50/50 -- and garlic.

Long grain and brown rice courtesy of Uncle Ben, drizzled with the pan drippings.

Scallops02-20.jpg

First off, I put zero effort in to planning how I was going to photograph this plate of food before I started cooking, so I knew it was going to be basic brown. Ya' get's what ya' pay for.

I had some frozen sea scallops from COSTCO that I knew were good. A bit small for sea scallops, but really tender and sweet.

I thawed them and got them super dry, and sautéed them in a good non-stick with a mix of canola oil and butter -- about 50/50 -- and garlic.

Long grain and brown rice courtesy of Uncle Ben, drizzled with the pan drippings.

View attachment 38075
I kind of like the color contrast on that. Is that a ceiling panel the plate is sitting on?

I kind of like the color contrast on that. Is that a ceiling panel the plate is sitting on?

LOL, I never noticed, but it does look a little like those 70s ceiling panels. It is actually a (very heavy) piece of stone floor tile. It is the kind of porous tile you would find outside around a swimming pool.

CD

View attachment 38075

I have frozen scallops here, just need a few friends around. I'm the only seafood person in my family.

Russ

1429BA9F-923A-43E6-9D2C-FC4E3AFA7607.jpeg

From the Curator Bar at Heathrow. The fish and chips arrived maybe 5 minutes after ordering. They know that you have a flight to catch, and they won’t keep you waiting. This wouldn’t be such a treat if the fish weren’t good...but it is. The fish is light and flavorful, and I love the batter on a properly made English style fried fish, and this has that. They must have a series of premade fish fillets for this purpose, because they can’t possibly make them this quickly otherwise. But, it didn’t taste old or stale in any way. Very very nice.

I was also impressed by the tiny side of mushy peas. I’ve never understood the love that some on that side of the pond have. When I’ve gotten it previously, it was bland: just smashed peas. But, this was seasoned and tasty. I might just be a fan now.

And, the tartar sauce? No. I love the traditional method, with malt vinegar, but that doesn't make a pretty picture.

Last edited:

View attachment 38075
I love the char you have on those scallops!

I love the char you have on those scallops!

You have to get your scallops really dry and room temperature. Then, It is the mix of canola oil and butter. You get the oil hot, drop in the butter and watch for the fist wisps of smoke. The cooking time can't be more than a minute per side. Do not walk away from you pan!

CD

Back
Top Bottom