What did you cook/eat today (February 2020)?

I was also impressed by the tiny side of mushy peas. I’ve never understood the love that some on that side of the pond have. When I’ve gotten it previously, it was bland: just smashed peas. But, this was seasoned and tasty. I might just be a fan now.

They should be shot for serving mushie peas like that, and the quantity is abysmal! The rest looks OK.

They should be shot for serving mushie peas like that, and the quantity is abysmal! The rest looks OK.

View attachment 38083

I personally thought the fish -n-chips Late Nite had looked really good. Big piece of fish, and the batter looked good and crunchy. Nice looking chips, too. I'd need more tartar sauce (love the stuff), but can't say I'd be angry about not enough peas -- especially of the mushy type.

CD

Do you not have a fridge, a lettuce will keep a week here, plus I'm growing them.

Of course we have a fridge. But lettuce only appears to last a few days in the "salad tray". It's green oak or red oak usually.

Of course we have a fridge. But lettuce only appears to last a few days in the "salad tray". It's green oak or red oak usually.

Do you do anything to your lettuce before storin? Do you cut the core and big stems out. That is where the yellowing starts. Do you keep them away from tropical fruits and other things that give off a lot of ethylene gas, like bananas? Living where you live, you may want to get some products that absorb ethylene gas.

Sample -- https://www.amazon.com/Bluapple-Freshness-Extending-Solution-Vegetables/dp/B005W6DRNY

Living in North Texas has challeges, and I'm sure N.E. Thailand has it's own.

CD

First off, I put zero effort in to planning how I was going to photograph this plate of food before I started cooking, so I knew it was going to be basic brown. Ya' get's what ya' pay for.

I had some frozen sea scallops from COSTCO that I knew were good. A bit small for sea scallops, but really tender and sweet.

I thawed them and got them super dry, and sautéed them in a good non-stick with a mix of canola oil and butter -- about 50/50 -- and garlic.

Long grain and brown rice courtesy of Uncle Ben, drizzled with the pan drippings.

View attachment 38075

Nice charring on the scallops.

For lettuce, I remove the core, separate it into leaves, make sure it's dry, then I put it in a ziplock bag and squeeze every bit of air out of it. I can get a few weeks out of it that way.

Last edited:
They should be shot for serving mushie peas like that, and the quantity is abysmal!
My wife's mom also ordered nachos...and at first I thought this was a side of guacamole! Since I liked what they did with the peas, I also regretted such a tiny portion.

How do you season yours?

The nachos were awful. The chips were good, but the cheese was all glued together on one side of the plate, with big chunks of bland avocado, no heat, and only a dusting of pico de gallo. That's what she gets for ordering nachos at an English pub!

I use nutmeg which I reckon works really well. Is it difficult to obtain dried peas in the USA?
I can get plenty of dried peas, but not the nice big fat marrowfat peas that work so well for mushy peas. For those, I have to go to the international market.

I don't season my mushy peas much beyond salt and pepper, though when I'm cooking them, I'll do so in diluted chicken broth, just to give them a little flavor boost.

Back
Top Bottom