What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

Dinner is Chickpeas salad seasoned with chopped parsley, lemon, poppy seeds and a dash of mustard

I'd never heard of a Tourtiere - it has mashed potato in the pie?
Yes, though there are variations. It's a French-Canadian dish, I first had it where my wife is from (cue Dylan singing "Girl From The North Country").

You'd probably like it, it has that sweet-savory thing going on, with those great Christmas spices in it.

Sunday here and family can't do dinner tonight so someone requested me doing brunch. So I cooked hash browns with poached eggs on top, with choice from, tomatoes ,bacon,brekky sausages, shrooms and baked beans. No pics, I was too hungry. Lol. It was real good.

Russ

Lunch was eaten out by necessity

Hubby's lunch with rice

And the version he doesn't remember having back on the 6th December. <just see my really good (?) rant in the general chat, then you'll understand>

My lunch... crispy noodles. Nice once but probably not again. Next time just in water...

Afternoon tea (as someone once said, "Afternoon tea is just a picnic indoors."):

Sandwiches are egg mayo and sandwich spread. Sandwich spread is a lot like ham salad, but I suspect this is made with a good amount of bologna as well. It's from a little mom & pop grocery and it beats any other neighboring deli's ham salad/sandwich spread.

Scones were just raisin ones. Mine rarely rise very well. I was speaking with a British ex-pat a few years ago, and she said she had the same problem until a fellow ex-pat who was a professional baker told her it comes down to American self-rising flour isn't quite the same as British self-raising flour and to either use an American scone recipe formulated to use American flour, or doctor the American flour to more closely mimic the British product. She gave me the recipe for that, but I've yet to try it out.

That's store-bought cupcakes I got yesterday, before I remembered I was making afternoon tea today. The napoleon is stuffed with a mixture of white chocolate and whipped cream, and then some strawberries.

Afternoon tea (as someone once said, "Afternoon tea is just a picnic indoors."):

Sandwiches are egg mayo and sandwich spread. Sandwich spread is a lot like ham salad, but I suspect this is made with a good amount of bologna as well. It's from a little mom & pop grocery and it beats any other neighboring deli's ham salad/sandwich spread.

Scones were just raisin ones. Mine rarely rise very well. I was speaking with a British ex-pat a few years ago, and she said she had the same problem until a fellow ex-pat who was a professional baker told her it comes down to American self-rising flour isn't quite the same as British self-raising flour and to either use an American scone recipe formulated to use American flour, or doctor the American flour to more closely mimic the British product. She gave me the recipe for that, but I've yet to try it out.

That's store-bought cupcakes I got yesterday, before I remembered I was making afternoon tea today. The napoleon is stuffed with a mixture of white chocolate and whipped cream, and then some strawberries.

That pastry looks amazing, I wish I could cook like that. Melt in your mouth right there.

Russ

That pastry looks amazing, I wish I could cook like that. Melt in your mouth right there.

Russ
Thanks, and you can cook like that - it's store-bought puff pastry. :) - I did make the filling, though.

The whole thing took about 20 minutes in the oven, 10 to cool, and about 15 to make the filling, and about 10 to assemble it. Really, about a half-hour start to finish, because I made the filling while it was baking and cooling.

Thanks, and you can cook like that - it's store-bought puff pastry. :) - I did make the filling, though.

The whole thing took about 20 minutes in the oven, 10 to cool, and about 15 to make the filling, and about 10 to assemble it. Really, about a half-hour start to finish, because I made the filling while it was baking and cooling.

I'm not really a baker so I prolly wouldn't make that, but more of a cook. My daughter is a really good baker though. I will show her your pics later when she gets home. I may talk her into trying this, we have fresh strawberries growing outside ATM.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom