What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

I'm not really a baker so I prolly wouldn't make that, but more of a cook. My daughter is a really good baker though. I will show her your pics later when she gets home. I may talk her into trying this, we have fresh strawberries growing outside ATM.

Russ
Really, all you do is thaw the frozen sheet of pastry out, cut it into thirds, and toss it in the oven for 20 minutes. It puffs up about four inches, then it's just a matter of pulling them apart and filling them. Dead easy. It really is something a kid could do easily.

The filling - I melted white chocolate with some cream, stirred it smooth and let it cool, then whipped some cream with my stick blender and folded that in. That was the most time-consuming part - six minutes. :)

Really, all you do is thaw the frozen sheet of pastry out, cut it into thirds, and toss it in the oven for 20 minutes. It puffs up about four inches, then it's just a matter of pulling them apart and filling them. Dead easy. It really is something a kid could do easily.

The filling - I melted white chocolate with some cream, stirred it smooth and let it cool, then whipped some cream with my stick blender and folded that in. That was the most time-consuming part - six minutes. :)

Not big on sweet things but I would love to try it. I mentioned to my daughter. She may make it. If she does I'll post. :)

Russ

Scones were just raisin ones. Mine rarely rise very well. I was speaking with a British ex-pat a few years ago, and she said she had the same problem until a fellow ex-pat who was a professional baker told her it comes down to American self-rising flour isn't quite the same as British self-raising flour and to either use an American scone recipe formulated to use American flour, or doctor the American flour to more closely mimic the British product. She gave me the recipe for that, but I've yet to try it out.

Paul Hollywood (master baker) uses strong white bread flour (plus baking powder) which is how I make them now. It works really well.

Yeah - I always feel like I'm cheating if I use ready made puff pastry. Its so easy!

Yeah - I always feel like I'm cheating if I use ready made puff pastry. Its so easy!
Most things like that, that are either labor-intensive or dependent on perfect technique, I usually want to try at least once, just to say I've done it and to say I understand how to do it.

Not puff pastry. I don't know why, but I have zero interest in making puff pastry from scratch, and the frozen stuff is very good quality anyway, so it all works out.

Paul Hollywood (master baker) uses strong white bread flour (plus baking powder) which is how I make them now. It works really well.
Interesting...I just watched a video of PH making scones in what looked like a classroom setting, and he used a stand mixer as well. Never seen anyone do that, always for fear of overworking the dough.

I may give that a try next time I make scones.

Interesting...I just watched a video of PH making scones in what looked like a classroom setting, and he used a stand mixer as well. Never seen anyone do that, always for fear of overworking the dough.

I may give that a try next time I make scones.

This is the recipe I've used of his (not the 'chafing' technique)
Paul Hollywood's scones

A tartelette au chocolat, to celebrate passing a minor cycling milestone this year

I tried scones a week ago, Hugh's mate on river cottage made them, looked perfect, somehow mine weren't even close, ultimate fail. Daughter didn't eat hers, I threw them out in the end.

Russ

parmesan paprika crusted perch with a lemon aioli

wife tried a new cauliflower mash. It was horrible.

View attachment 37128
Nice description dd, I love that you're honest when it's no good. I am too. My wife and her friends always ask me about new clothes etc. I tell them if it doesn't suit them. My recent scones were a disaster, ended in the bin,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom