What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

Cauliflower is very 'in' at the moment, cauliflower rice, cauliflower steak etc..it is a very tasty veg so why do people mess about with it :headshake:

The only things I normally do with cauliflower are cauliflower cheese, aloo ghobi and dry potato and cauliflower curry. I did try roasting it whole once but it ended up a disaster so I've never bothered with that again.

Although I'm partial to it steamed with béchamel sauce.

My favorite way to eat cauliflower is raw with some creamy dressing to dip, though it's good steamed or roasted as well. We like it a lot.

Carbonara Risotto. Not bad, even if I’ve added too much black pepper.. but I’ll survive

We went out for sushi because my husband loves treating me 😍

Here are my favorite teriyaki salmon/squid and prawns from the grill, tuna / avocado hand rolls, and grilled salmon nigiri.

And here two desserts, fried sweet bun with custard ( a Japanese doughnut) and totally non Japanese crème brûlée.

We had more food and it was delicious!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tabbouleh (again) with a roasted pinenut and cumin seed garnish and the last of the current batch of baked almond 'feta' cheese.

The garnish is hiding the fresh herbs but there are 2 packets of parsley and 1 of mint in there (due to the drought most of my high water requiring herbs are dead, so I'm having to buy them).

I did also use the last of the extra buckwheat to make my Recipe - Barley/Spelt/Rice cakes (only with buckwheat and semolina). (The chooks enjoyed some off the excess cooked buckwheat).

Next time I get some out of the freezer, I'll update the photo!

What is latkes? A sort of patties or croquettes?

Yes, they have grated onion in them and also potato flour or starch, as well as freshly grated potatoes, and are quite often served with applesauce and sour cream. It is a Jewish dish. These were made from a recipe from a local family Jewish deli that was open for 30-40 years but closed because of changes in eating habits and probably also because the younger generation just didn't want to deal with running a restaurant.

Yes, they have grated onion in them and also potato flour or starch, as well as freshly grated potatoes, and are quite often served with applesauce and sour cream. It is a Jewish dish. These were made from a recipe from a local family Jewish deli that was open for 30-40 years but closed because of changes in eating habits and probably also because the younger generation just didn't want to deal with running a restaurant.

Thank you for the explanation, they sound so interesting! I'm also very intrigued by how they are served, apple sauce and sour cream, what a nice combo
Do you have the recipe to post, by chance?

Back
Top Bottom