What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

Lunch with thriller - skinny scrambled egg (one egg with almond milk) made in microwave. Lumpfish caviar on top. Under 160 Kcals

A couple of big potatoes, halved, par-boiled, then Birchered in EVOO and thyme, with harissa-assisted beans, and half a tarte au 3 fromages. Warm and filling food, eaten in front of the fire - as a perfect antidote to the polar air sweeping across Brittany this evening.

Afternoon tea (as someone once said, "Afternoon tea is just a picnic indoors."):

Sandwiches are egg mayo and sandwich spread. Sandwich spread is a lot like ham salad, but I suspect this is made with a good amount of bologna as well. It's from a little mom & pop grocery and it beats any other neighboring deli's ham salad/sandwich spread.

Scones were just raisin ones. Mine rarely rise very well. I was speaking with a British ex-pat a few years ago, and she said she had the same problem until a fellow ex-pat who was a professional baker told her it comes down to American self-rising flour isn't quite the same as British self-raising flour and to either use an American scone recipe formulated to use American flour, or doctor the American flour to more closely mimic the British product. She gave me the recipe for that, but I've yet to try it out.

That's store-bought cupcakes I got yesterday, before I remembered I was making afternoon tea today. The napoleon is stuffed with a mixture of white chocolate and whipped cream, and then some strawberries.

:hungry:

A couple of big potatoes, halved, par-boiled, then Birchered in EVOO and thyme, with harissa-assisted beans, and half a tarte au 3 fromages. Warm and filling food, eaten in front of the fire - as a perfect antidote to the polar air sweeping across Brittany this evening.

View attachment 37144

That’s such a lush dinner!
Bircher potatoes.. oh they are just perfect and you have just reminded me I should make them more often

Back
Top Bottom