What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sell fresh for a bit of a higher price than that..summer time is terrible for beef prices here in Canada..the demand sky rockets, so naturally, so does the asking price..it will drop again late August and more so in the fall and winter..

Normal Thai beef is around US$ 8.00 - 10.00/kg but even after cooking it for 4 hours you'd still be chewing it for another 4. I pay c. US$ 9.00/kg for minced beef for my chilli con carne but I cook it for at least 2 hours.

A sort of frittelle? Pancakes?
Look greedy.

Both are made from a thickish batter with yeast (so you get the air-holes). Crumpets are made using a ring (so are uniform), but pikelets are made free-form so a little more 'rustic''

Someone may disagree but this is my understanding from moving to the Midlands (Only had crumpets in the south) .

I'll do photos of the different types of oatcakes one day (Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Scotland) once I get a large batch of GF oats.

Last edited:
Normal Thai beef is around US$ 8.00 - 10.00/kg but even after cooking it for 4 hours you'd still be chewing it for another 4. I pay c. US$ 9.00/kg for minced beef for my chilli con carne but I cook it for at least 2 hours.
My meat counter is more boutique style. As far as beef goes, we only carry AAA Black Angus beef. Only three cuts of steak. No roasts, or other bits..I don't even sell the mince. I use it for the hamburgers on our menu..
12920461_928521960599115_3882587344487152472_n.jpg

In the UK, fillet is usually in the £28 - £36/kilo region, depending on whether it's supermarket or deli/farm shop. I've not noticed any seasonal variation in price.

My meat counter is more boutique style. As far as beef goes, we only carry AAA Black Angus beef. Only three cuts of steak. No roasts, or other bits..I don't even sell the mince. I use it for the hamburgers on our menu..

I notice the pork loin. Now, I may decry the Thai beef as being rubbish but their pork is usually exquisite (and much of it comes from Malaysia - go figure). We are currently paying about US$ 4.50 - US$ 5.50/kg for decent pork.

In the UK, fillet is usually in the £28 - £36/kilo region, depending on whether it's supermarket or deli/farm shop. I've not noticed any seasonal variation in price.

That is pricey! I remember paying much less than 10 quid (but that was during the BSE scare in the 80's (?))

Today we had Falafel. I joined here too late for the falafel challenge/cook-along. My recipe started with this but I now use Chana Dhal (split chickpeas without the skin). Thy need soaking over night and I take 3/4 and drain to make the falafel with onion and spice to taste. If a little watery still I use chickpea flour instead of wheat (so GF). Toasting the spices whole then grinding them makes a massive difference, but only do this if I have time.

The other 1/4 of the dhal I use to make homous (Yes, I know this is BAD and I should use tahini cream instead, but we like the double chickpea:laugh: The humous is really creamy. I followed the food lab advice re: mixing the garlic and lemon juice first, loads of tahini, and adding the warm water from cooking the dhal to plump up the paste. Leave a few hours. Olive oil on top.

Today will be leftovers and homemade bread. With a veggie to be named later.
Wanting to go visit Rocklobster. His meat counter looks fabulous.

I stopped in a little Italian American deli on the way to the beach and this was hanging in front of the register.

0727171226a_HDR.jpg

I picked up a chicken, roasted red pepper, arrugula and provolone panini for the mrs., a roast beast, onion, and mayo on a semolina hero for the boy, and I got the deli's special ham, cappicolo, salami, provolone, and hot pepperoni with shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, evoo, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano on a semolina hero.

I stopped in a little Italian American deli on the way to the beach and this was hanging in front of the register.

I picked up a chicken, roasted red pepper, arrugula and provolone panini for the mrs., a roast beast, onion, and mayo on a semolina hero for the boy, and I got the deli's special ham, cappicolo, salami, provolone, and hot pepperoni with shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, evoo, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano on a semolina hero
Is that a dish towel? Neato!

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 9410

I picked up a chicken, roasted red pepper, arrugula and provolone panini for the mrs., a roast beast, onion, and mayo on a semolina hero for the boy, and I got the deli's special ham, cappicolo, salami, provolone, and hot pepperoni with shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, evoo, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano on a semolina hero.

Huhu! A lot of things @buckytom ! And what about the wine? Did you taste it?
It's hilarious: you eat Italian deli and I eat american peanut butter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom