What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped in a little Italian American deli on the way to the beach and this was hanging in front of the register.

View attachment 9410

I picked up a chicken, roasted red pepper, arrugula and provolone panini for the mrs., a roast beast, onion, and mayo on a semolina hero for the boy, and I got the deli's special ham, cappicolo, salami, provolone, and hot pepperoni with shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, evoo, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano on a semolina hero.
I don't understand most of those ingredients, but they sound great anyway. You send us over MacD, KFC and Subway, yet keep the good stuff for yourselves. Have a heart!

Yes, but with Italian quantity..
That totally depends on the deli.
There are some delis here that if you order an Italian sandwich, you will get maybe 28 grams of meat and cheese total, a pinch of arugula or other green, a paper thin slice of tomato, 2 slices if you are lucky and a tablespoon of whatever lubricant you want. Oh and the bread will be super thick.
They say their sandwiches are low calorie. That is because it is all bread. The bread is at least 7.5 thick. The meat is a millimeter thick. And one layer only.
I have eaten there all of twice.

That totally depends on the deli.
There are some delis here that if you order an Italian sandwich, you will get maybe 28 grams of meat and cheese total, a pinch of arugula or other green, a paper thin slice of tomato, 2 slices if you are lucky and a tablespoon of whatever lubricant you want. Oh and the bread will be super thick.
They say their sandwiches are low calorie. That is because it is all bread. The bread is at least 7.5 thick. The meat is a millimeter thick. And one layer only.
I have eaten there all of twice.

You order an idea of sandwich more than a real sandwich, but the enthusiasm of @buckytom made me think there were a lot of filling in their sandwiches...

You order an idea of sandwich more than a real sandwich, but the enthusiasm of @buckytom made me think there were a lot of filling in their sandwiches...
There probably is in his since I doubt he went to a chain. Restaurant wise, he is one of the lucky ones. Not all delis are created equal. Others of us are stuck in food heck.

Rice is done. Waiting on the cod...

0H0QIi0.jpg

"Sheet pan Greek Dinner"....chicken breast ,zucchini,eggplant ,yellow pepper,red potatoes (substituted sweet potatoes)...all cubed and spread out on baking sheet..drizzled with a lemon juice,olice oil,oregano,garlic spiced dressing..cooking for 20-25 minute @ 400*..then take out and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.....
Dinner is ready !!!

Thursday night's dinner was an impromptu cassoulet made from leftovers - 2 cooked sausages cut into chunks, cooked French beans, the last of the kofta from the other night, half a can of chopped tomatoes, and half a can of cannellini beans, plus a little water - chucked in a Pyrex dish and heated through in the oven.

I made plans: salad, and roast beef and cheese sandwiches on ciabatta rolls. Just as I was finishing up the salads, my sis-in-law called to see if we wanted some of the stuffed cabbages she had just made. OK! Made mashed potatoes to go with.

Roast beef, etc, sandwiches tomorrow...

...I got the deli's special ham, cappicolo, salami, provolone, and hot pepperoni with shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, evoo, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano on a semolina hero.
Now you have me wanting an original, not-the-chain, Quisnos sub. That's QuiSnos with an "s", not a z. The original pizza and sandwich shop was right by the campus of THE Ohio State University, and hubby would get their sandwich when he had a bit of spending money. A devious ex-employee of theirs moved to Denver and started his own "QuiZnos", which was chain fast-food. Thanks to a very nice staff at Quisnos, they taught me the fine art of building their Italian sub. I have a feeling that will be my dinner post within a few weeks. :D

"Sheet pan Greek Dinner"....chicken breast ,zucchini,eggplant ,yellow pepper,red potatoes (substituted sweet potatoes)...all cubed and spread out on baking sheet..drizzled with a lemon juice,olice oil,oregano,garlic spiced dressing..cooking for 20-25 minute @ 400*..then take out and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.....
Dinner is ready !!!

A lovely simple idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom