What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nightmare! You must be getting fed up...
It is getting tiring. Now they are on holidays for two weeks before they come to install the cabinets...this was part of the deal. Once the plaster is done we can finally clean up and be done with the mess...

Wow! I've been catching up on all the posts I've missed and am now feeling quite hungry!

Friday night's dinner was φασολάδα (fasolatha) with a big chunk of bread, followed by blackberries left over from a jam making session that morning.

Breakfast today was eggs kejriwal, and I had the leftover φασολάδα for lunch. I haven't a clue what I'm going to have for dinner, but rumour has it it may be a pizza. I will let you know :D

Yesterday was pizza. We decided to run over to Big Spring. Lunch was fabulous except for the two minutes it took to get my breath back when my elbow chose to pop back in place. Luckily no pizza was lost when I dropped the plastic plate. It was a buffet.

And a pizza it was, but purists look away. This didn't have one speck of cheese or tomato, and no yeast in the base either! It also contained a lot of yoghurt!

It's a courgette and broad bean pizza. I saw the recipe in a magazine and was intrigued, so I thought I'd give it a go. I really enjoyed it.

Courgette and broad bean pizza.jpg

I forgot to take photos but tonight's bbq was:
Bbq-ed sardines with salsa verde (mint and lemonbalm with evoo and cider vinegar)
Bbq-ed pepper, courgette, asparagus. With bbq-ed tuna steak and prawns.
Tomato and oregano salad
Green salad (little gem, cucumber, spring onion, avocado).
Potato salad (with chives)
Good bread (local bakery)

Do you have a recipe for it on the forum? I just did a search and couldn't find it.

The two recipes that I've used in the past didn't really work so I haven't posted any.

Recipe for the above: Empty the contents of the packet into a jug and add water to make a thin paste. Pour over the scored loin and marinate overnight in the fridge. Place on a baking tray and (in the halogen oven) cook for 20 minutes at 200 degC.

My guess would be that any slow cooked pork dish would call for a fattier cut like pork shoulder or rib end cuts, so it would be less likely to dry out...I've used pork tenderloin also and it has been decent..

If I was slow cooking it I would probably go for pork belly but this was cooked in 20 minutes in the halogen and it didn't dry out at all.

And a pizza it was, but purists look away. This didn't have one speck of cheese or tomato, and no yeast in the base either! It also contained a lot of yoghurt!

It's a courgette and broad bean pizza. I saw the recipe in a magazine and was intrigued, so I thought I'd give it a go. I really enjoyed it.

View attachment 9459

I will simply say: 'interesting'. :)

The two recipes that I've used in the past didn't really work so I haven't posted any.

Recipe for the above: Empty the contents of the packet into a jug and add water to make a thin paste. Pour over the scored loin and marinate overnight in the fridge. Place on a baking tray and (in the halogen oven) cook for 20 minutes at 200 degC.

What is in the contents of this magic packet?

It was Pacific chicken and rice. Baked beans. Homemade bread. (Turned out different each time I've made it.)

What is in the contents of this magic packet?

She's thrown the packet away already.

I've tried three different mixes up to now (after finding out that my attempts were pathetic) but the latest one was the best IMO. I think using the halogen oven was beneficial also because of the short cooking time required.

Anyway, the powder is available in UK I've found - http://raanthai.co.uk/shop/ROS-DEE-Menu---Roasted-Red-Pork-Sauce-Powder---AJINOMOTO--7790.html

It's called "moo daeng" here in Thailand (pork red).

[For information my attempts used the following: crushed garlic, pureed ginger, tomato puree, hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce and balsanic vinegar.]

I had a cauliflower so I thought I'd cook an aloo ghobi to accompany the remainder of the moo daeng. I intentionally reduced the "hotness" slightly so as not to overpower the pork. I cooked enough to also eat with a chicken curry tomorrow.

aloo ghobi july s.jpg

I forgot to take photos but tonight's bbq was:
Bbq-ed sardines with salsa verde (mint and lemonbalm with evoo and cider vinegar)
Bbq-ed pepper, courgette, asparagus. With bbq-ed tuna steak and prawns...
Could you please tell what your definition of "Bbq-ed" is? I live in the U.S., where Barbeque can be a religion in some regions. On this side of the pond, BBQ refers to slow-cooked or smoked on a grill over an extended period of time. We tend to grill in our house, which consists of cooking food quickly on the outside grill, although I have been known to resort to my Lodge grill pan on top of my stove when the weather suddenly turns uncooperative. Oh, then you have the process of "BBQ" that has nothing to do with technique, but refers to slathering a generous amount of spicy, ketchup-based sauce all over your food.

So, I'm guessing what you did is "grill"?

Sorry I'm being pedantic a pain. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom