What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took advantage of local sales and made chicken fajitas. Chicken seasoned and seared in my cast iron pan while I cooked up the onions and bell peppers in my largest non-stick pan. Introduced them all in the cast iron and married the flavors. Simple add-ins of sour cream, salsa, and cheddar cheese when they were assembled in a warm flour tortilla flat.

Currently, I'm snacking on fresh cherries and stale pistachio nuts. Will chase them all down with my nightly glass of wine.
We went out of town this morning. Went to a Mexican restaurant over in Colorado City. Had beef, chicken and shrimp fajitas with beans, rice, he had guacamole, flour tortillas (him) corn tortillas for me, and a side of locked in the bathroom.

Son's dinner - rump steak, oven chips and green salad - (I'm testing out my new Samsung smart phone camera in rubbish light conditions):

20170630_205844.jpg

Last edited:
20170701_213237.jpg

That is some pickled breadfruit which was a side dish of sorts.Had the usual Sunday rice and chicken and all the rest of it. The breadfruit was a treat as it's the first time I went all out with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How to ruin a perfectly good rib of beef:
Well overcooked. Next time, inspired by @Yorky I think I will just use a blowtorch. Tasted OK though:

Did you pan fry it? It doesn't look ruined to me but personally I prefer my beef a little more rare than that.

Did you pan fry it? It doesn't look ruined to me but personally I prefer my beef a little more rare than that.
Me too. No, I've got into a lazy habit of cooking joints in a water bath then finishing them in a hot oven. It's supposed to be foolproof. Pan frying would have been a much better idea with this one. Expensive lesson learned.

@Cinisajoy - you asked me in the June thread about savoury French toast.

My mother used to make it for me when I was little, in fact I was not familiar with the sweet version until I was an adult. I don't have a recipe but I do remember the ingredients.

Eggs
Milk
Dried parsley flakes
Powdered dried onion powder or possibly garlic salt
Parmesan cheese - the shelf stable variety but you could use fresh
Salt
White pepper

Mix all of the ingredients together.

Dip stale bread slices in & pan fry.

I can remember sitting on the front stairs in the winter sun eating this hot in a paper napkin, but Dad said Mum used to make it to serve with tomato soup.

The curry banquet from Saturday night

IMG_0032.JPG

From the top -

Basket of naan & poppadums
Reshmi Murgh - creamy chicken curry with amchoor (green mango powder) from Indian in 6
Lamb curry - my own recipe
Saag Paneer
Creamy coconut Kerala prawns - a mix of recipe ideas from around the web, so I guess my own recipe
Basmati rice
Chaat Aloo
Plum chutney (homemade)
Hot mango pickle (bought)
Chopped Coriander, yogurt, chopped chilies
Diced tomato, cucumber & red onion salad / raita.

@Cinisajoy - you asked me in the June thread about savoury French toast.

My mother used to make it for me when I was little, in fact I was not familiar with the sweet version until I was an adult. I don't have a recipe but I do remember the ingredients.

Eggs
Milk
Dried parsley flakes
Powdered dried onion powder or possibly garlic salt
Parmesan cheese - the shelf stable variety but you could use fresh
Salt
White pepper

Mix all of the ingredients together.

Dip stale bread slices in & pan fry.

I can remember sitting on the front stairs in the winter sun eating this hot in a paper napkin, but Dad said Mum used to make it to serve with tomato soup.
Sounds like it would be good with lasagna. I have the shelf stable Parmesan.

Last night was a leg of pork roasted On a bed of garlic, thyme & pear, soused with pear cider, surround by carrot, potato & pumpkin. A seperate tray of cabbage, peas, cauliflower & broccoli au gratin and fabulous pan gravy with more cider.

...Went to a Mexican restaurant over in Colorado City...and a side of locked in the bathroom.
This was included in the meal for no extra charge, I would guess? I can't see you ordering it as a side...

Seriously, sorry to hear you ran into Montezuma while dining in Colorado. Hope you feel better soon.

Me too. No, I've got into a lazy habit of cooking joints in a water bath then finishing them in a hot oven. It's supposed to be foolproof. Pan frying would have been a much better idea with this one. Expensive lesson learned.

I've just found a sirloin steak in the freezer which is past it's sell-by-date. I'll cook tomorrow. It's only about 15mm thick so I'll likely pan fry it for a couple of minutes each side then finish it off with the blowlamp.

sirloin steak 1 s.jpg

I made breakfast-for-supper. I've wanted blueberry pancakes for a few weeks, but always forget to make them before I eat my first something of the day. Tonight we had blueberry pancakes with either real Ohio maple syrup or my homemade apple syrup, sweet apple chicken sausage, and eggs. Most of the time eggs are some variation of scrambled, but I wanted over easy. Hubby gets runny yolks on those occasions. Since there was no toast for dipping, I made them a bit more done, with almost-gooey centers. He said they were perfect (smart man). Mine ended up being over hard because I had too much going on to pay proper attention. Oh, well...
His egg plate. He did have pancakes, too, so don't think I cheated him.
20170702_211648.jpg

My eggs and sausage, along with my pancakes with apple syrup. I also had two more cakes with maple syrup. *burp*
20170702_213112.jpg

This was included in the meal for no extra charge, I would guess? I can't see you ordering it as a side...

Seriously, sorry to hear you ran into Montezuma while dining in Colorado. Hope you feel better soon.
No, not Montezuma. Literally locked in the bathroom. The lock malfunctioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom